Technical Director, Clinical ONSE
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Director, Clinical ONSE
FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Technical Director Clinical for an anticipated USAID-funded: Organized Network of Services for Everyone’s (ONSE) Health referred to as ONSE Athanzi. The purpose of the project is to support Government of Malawi (GoM) efforts to improve the health of Malawians through improved access to priority health services; improved quality of priority health services; strengthened district health systems; and increased community demand for priority services. The expected duration of the project is five years.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
The Technical Director Clinical will be responsible for technical leadership of the program to ensure quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated. The Technical Director Clinical will manage the design and implementation of key components of the program description and ensure adherence to global standard of excellence in health programming. The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi and will report to the Chief of Party. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
- Must have depth and breadth of technical expertise and experience in designing and implementing comprehensive public health interventions, and related capacity strengthening;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the project technical strategies, adapting global and regional technical resources and tools as needed for the Malawi context;
- Oversee a team of senior technical staff for the project and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained amongst the team members;
- Maintain and encourage high quality performance targets ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices and donor guidelines. Ensure state of the art and evidence-based best practices in health programming are integrated into project strategies to enhance their quality and effectiveness;
- Identify technical assistance needs and training resources among project staff, partners, government counterparts and beneficiaries and coordinate technical assistance provision;
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and community-based organizations;
- Conduct or participate in technical quality assessments;
- Lead and/or contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by USAID;
- Coordinate with partners, government counterparts and other stakeholders to achieve project objectives;
- Represent the project in technical meetings, conferences, and coordination platforms.
- Medical or Nursing degree with a Masters in Public Health, Community Health, or related field;
- At least twelve years’ experience in public health service delivery program management (in some of the four technical areas);
- 5 + years working in Malawi or another developing country is preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge in managing and implementing complex health activities including MNCH, FP/RH, malaria, nutrition, and WASH programming in developing countries involving multiple stakeholders and implementing partners;
- In addition to clinical experience, the Clinical Director must have experience in HSS;
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building government, nongovernment, and community capacity to address health issues;
- Demonstrated management skills, including relevant experience in direct supervision of professional staff;
- Ability to interact and build performing relationships with stakeholders, especially district health offices, Ministry of Health Directorates, and institutions that implement activities in the four technical areas of health/family planning (FP/RH), maternal, neonatal, and child health (MNCH), malaria, and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) at the facility and community level.
- Experience with implementing comprehensive public health interventions, and related capacity strengthening;
- Experience with a USG cooperative agreement preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies;
- Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English;
- Ability to work independently and manage a high volume work flow;
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360 - Family Health International
- Location: Lilongwe (Malawi)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2016-04-30