Chuuk & Yap | Micronesia (Federated States of)
Position Title : Procurement Officer
Duty Station : Chuuk & Yap, Micronesia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, 6 months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 March 2016
Reference Code: CFA 2016/13 (P)
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this
vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or
short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on
Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the
Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular,
fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Procurement
& Logistics Officer (P&L) in Pohnpei, the successful candidate will be responsible and
accountable for Procurement activities for the IOM Mission in Yap & Chuuk, Micronesia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise IOM teams involved in the following categories of procurement work within the designated area of responsibility: procurement staff (local and international procurement);
- Conduct procurement tasks within the sub office, including property and assets control,supply, service/maintenance and contractual agreements.
- In coordination with the missions Procurement and Logistics Officer solicit bids, quotationsand tender documents; assist in the bidding process and provide support for procurement transactions, analyzing them for conformity to specified requirements; conduct appraisals, select suppliers and coordinate with Global Procurement Unit in Manila whenever procurementprocedures are asking for.
- Make recommendations to RMO & P&L Officer and Chief of Mission for finalization of purchases. Maintain a close relationship with Finance unit to ensure that payments are processed promptly and accurately; prepare purchase orders and ensure authorization is received from the RMO and Chief of Mission.
- Ensure that procurement plans are coordinated and agreed with Programme Managers; follow up on purchase order (PO) statuses and keep the head(s) of unit(s) and respective Project Managers abreast of the estimated time of delivery or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions; ensure all expected merchandise is received in accordance with PO specifications, and that all goods are in good condition.
- Ensure receipts are received when payment is conducted in cash; and request authorization from the head of unit regarding bank transfer payments for the respective suboffice.
- Ensure that appropriate records are kept on assets disposal and each asset physical disposal is coordinated and approved by CAS unit in Manila and main Office in Pohnpei; ensure Asset Master Records to be regularly updated and located accordingly, used in IOM's best interest and inventory lists regularly updated .
- Assist the Procurement & Logistics Officer in the adherence of the Mission to stockroom management practices in order to ensure there is no undue overstocking or loss, and control supply stock and monitor consumable materials in order to provide staff with ready access to commonly used items.
- Assist the Procurement & Logistics Officer in monitoring maintenance and repair of office facilities, including preventive maintenance, and establish maintenance agreements with competent service providers when it is feasible and determined to be cost-effective.
- Undertake frequent field travel to programme sites to perform procurement evaluations and supervise and train field staff, upon the request of the Head of Sub-Office, RMO, and/or Chief of Mission.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned. Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
Experience in managing diverse procurement and logistics operations;
Excellent level of computer literacy and good knowledge of SAP/PRISM required;
Demonstrated experience in training and managing large teams of co-workers, vendors and
Extensive knowledge of IOM internal procurement and financial rules, as well as IOM's PRISM elements as they apply to procurement and logistics.
Fluency in French is required. Working knowledge of English, Micronesian or any local
language is an advantage.
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others.
Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 30 March 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 16.03.2016 to 30.03.2016
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Chuuk & Yap | Micronesia (Federated States of)
- Grade: Junior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-03-30