Mental Health Activity Manager - Tripoli/Libya - Medecins Sans Frontieres
Background of MSF in Libya:
Medécins Sans Frontières (MSF) as an organization has been present in Libya since 2011 delivering direct medical care and medical support to health facilities and migrant centres across the country.
The widespread violence and unrest over the past 5 years has resulted in the mass exodus of many health workers; health facilities have experienced shortages of supplies and drugs; and there is now a near breakdown of the health system. In the past few years, MSF has been able to support medical programming in places such as Zawiyah, Yefren, Zuwara and Jaddu through donations of drugs and medical materials, including kits to treat war-wounded, and delivering psychological support to people suffering from physical and mental health trauma related to conflict. In 2015, MSF presence has expanded to Al Bayda, Al Abyar, Benghazi, Misrata and Zuwara where MSF is supporting hospitals and clinics with drugs, medical supplies, staffing and training.
In addition to violence, in the Libyan crisis has included hundreds of thousands of refugees and asylum seekers passing through Libya on the way to seek refuge in Europe. This population is particularly vulnerable to the instability and has been the target of extortion and abuse. MSF has implemented programming including primary health care and the distribution of non-food items in order to restore baseline health conditions and the dignity of this population.
Background of this specific job recruitment:
In light of the evolving context and expanding needs in Libya, MSF-OCA (operational center based in Amsterdam) is starting up a new mission in Libya based in Tripoli, with a focus on the health needs of migrant populations living in the city, as well as potential engagement with the conflict-affected host population. Programming is expected start with the delivery of primary health care services, including mental health, but has the potential to expand based on assessments and findings once the team is on the ground. It is expected that MSF-OCA will collaborate with the Ministry of Health and other local partners in order to effectively implement new programming.
Define, implement and coordinate all mental health related activities in the project area; ensuring the quality of care, analyzing statistics and reports, managing staff involved in mental health related activities according to MSF protocols in order to provide the most appropriate support for patients.
· Identify the need of Mental Health support in the population, host and migrant within the scope of the project and participate to the setting up of MSF strategy accordingly
· Participate in the definition, planning, organization and update of the mental health activities and its budgeting, in close collaboration with other medical team members, in order to ensure an efficient and effective use of the resources needed while maintaining high levels of quality in Mental Health MSF activities.
· Ensure the implementation of all Mental Health standard protocols and methodologies set by MSF and supervise their application by all professionals under his/her responsibility, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for patients
· Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
· Supervise and ensure that mental health activities (in and outside health facilities), with the clients are performed with regular follow-up and according to all MSF protocols and standards in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for clients with psycho social problems ensuring mental health team is calm and neutral during sessions regardless of personal feelings and/or beliefs in accordance to the MSF code of ethics for MH professionals ;
· Review and develop, if needed, the technical material, tools, guidelines and documents elaborated for the mental health activities in order to develop appropriate support for patients
· Do a mapping and its regular update of the existing services, including other INGO’s, local NGO’s, community groups and governmental health services, etc and maintain regular communication and collaboration according to objectives and context.
· Ensure good communication with the other components of the project
· Monitor and evaluate mental health support activities (prepare logframe, define indicators and follow up tools, collect and analyze data, report regularly about mental health activities, etc.) in order to have reliable information about activities and adapt them accordingly. Participates in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep, statistical report, etc.)
· Share problematic situations and cases with the Medical Coordinator for help with decision making and problem resolution.
· Ensure that psychiatric patients coming to MSF facilities receive proper treatment including psychotropic medication (severe cases) and psychosocial support either within a MSF program or thru referral to an appropriate resource.
· Provide training and supervision to national staff on a regular basis.
· Ensure translators are trained about terminology and appropriate behavior during sessions.
· Degree/master in psychology or social work
· Essential working experience of at least three years as clinical psychologist or other similar profession
· Desirable working experience with MSF or other reputable NGOs.
· Desirable working experience in Middle Eastern/Arabic/North African context.
· Desirable working experience in high insecurity countries.
· Essential: English + Arabic languages (spoken + written)
· Desirable: Given the security context, specific interest in persons with Middle Eastern/North African background and non-Caucasian
· Computer literacy
· People Management.
· Results oriented.
How to apply
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter with a photograph included, under the reference “Mental health activity Manager”to: Libyarecruitment@amsterdam.msf.org
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
Closing date: 1st April 2016
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates
- Position based in Tripoli (Libya)
- 12 months of temporary contract with possible extension at the end of the period according to internal analysis
- Salary will be in accordance with our international remuneration system, based on previous experience on similar positions and country of residence
- Housing and other secondary benefits are based on MSF OCA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: Immediately
- Organization: MSF - Canada
- Location: Tripoli (Libya)
- Grade: Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Operations and Administrations
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2016-04-01