Shelter/NFI/Cash Manager - Mariupol, Ukraine
The Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified and capable Shelter/NFI/Cash Manager to lead and manage project activities in eastern Ukraine, based in Mariupol.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council/Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) operated in Ukraine in 1998-2000 in the return and reintegration of Crimean Tatars, and from 2007-2013 for the protection of asylum seekers and refugees, as well as the capacity building of government and civil society.
Today, DRC/DDG implements activities in eastern Ukraine to assist internally displaced and conflict-affected persons. DRC/DDG offices are located in Mariupol/Berdyansk, Dnipropetrovsk, Severodonetsk, and Kyiv. In Mariupol and Berdyansk, activities include the distribution of cash and non-food items, a range of shelter repairs and new construction, protection activities through legal assistance, information, individual assistance to families, livelihoods support, and mine risk education. Donors include ECHO, OFDA, UNHCR, DFID, UNICEF, and Danida.
About the job
The Shelter/NFI/Cash Manager will take primary managerial responsibility for activities providing shelter, cash and NFI assistance to the most vulnerable people in government controlled territory affected by the conflict in eastern Ukraine (Donetsk and Southern Zaporizhia oblasts). The Shelter/NFI/Cash Manager will be based in Mariupol with frequent travel to the buffer zone, Berdyansk, and surrounding districts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
Planning and Operation
- Direct management of DRC shelter/NFI/cash activities in government controlled territories of Donetsk and Zaporizhia oblasts (Mariupol and Berdyansk and surrounding districts)
- Supervision of national DRC staff working with shelter/NFI/cash as well as office staff in the duty station
- Ensuring DRC construction activities meet donor’s as well as international standards in design and construction
- Ensuring SOPs and beneficiary information brochures are developed and maintained for each project
- Attending and supporting shelter/NFI/cash-related coordination bodies and ensuring tangible contributions by DRC
- Supervising the drafting of relevant technical reports and assessments for internal and external use
- Advising DRC Ukraine on shelter/NFI/cash strategies and directions for future program development
Organisation, administration and personnel management
- Having overall responsibility for the management of project staff, including warehouse staff
- Ensuring observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
- Capacity building of national project staff with the objective of moving to national project management
- Responsibility for ensuring that all project processes and procedures are conducted in accordance with the DRC Operations Handbook and the respective donor’s requirements and rules, where applicable
- Responsibility for the timely completion of all project reports to a high standard
- Responsibility for good management of project budgets
- Responsibility for setting up / rolling out a comprehensive M&E framework to measure impacts of projects on beneficiaries
To be successful in this role we expect you to be experienced and accomplished in managing successful international shelter projects under difficult conditions, working effectively with people of different nationalities. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- An advanced degree in architecture, engineering, or a related field
- International experience in humanitarian and development work
- At least 5 years of experience in leading and managing an NGO project, including in the field of shelter/NFI/cash assistance, and with technical and supervisory responsibilities
- Contract management skills and experience
- High level of computer literacy with proficiency in MSWord, Excel, PDF, and Internet
- Experience in procurement of shelter and NFIs
- Experience in developing the capacity of shelter/NFI/cash staff through training, mentoring support, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups and nationalities
- Experience in capacity building and mentoring of partner organizations
- Fluency in written and spoken English required
- Experience in emergency and housing repair construction in conflict-afflicted settings
- Experience with ECHO, OFDA, UNHCR and DFID funded projects
- Some experience in cash transfer programming
- Previous DRC experience a strong advantage
- Working knowledge of Russian/Ukrainian a strong plus
Contract length: 6 months, renewable contingent upon funding and satisfactory performance;
Designation of Duty Station: Non-family/unaccompanied
Start date: June 2016
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact DRC Ukraine Country Director Krista Zongolowicz email@example.com
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: April 17, 2016
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Mariupol
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Cash-Based Interventions
- Closing Date: 2016-04-17