Information Management Officer (DTM)
Position Title : Information Management Officer (DTM)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 April 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Israel, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Preparedness and Response Division (PRD), and the overall supervision of the Director of Department of Operations & Emergencies (DOE), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for management and coordination of DTM Support team in headquarters in relation to the implementation of Information Management (IM) activities, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) and other human displacement and mobility data collection, as well as the development and implementation of the corresponding global standard methodological and technological solutions.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Coordinate IM support to emergency operations related to migration crisis including on data management, production of information products, and design and implementation of technological solutions for IM purposes.
Supervise the operation of DTM support team in headquarters and manage methodological, technical, and operational aspects of global DTM development and implementation activities including software and system development, data and database management, technical partnerships, and relevant capacity building or training programmes.
Manage the provision and deployment of technical support to IOM field missions in the development, implementation and evaluation of data and information management activities; identify related problems and issues to be addressed and proposes alternatives solutions; liaise with relevant parties.
Provide guidance on methodological approaches and best IM practices to DOE programming at the global and country level, including on collection, processing and analysis of data and information; and policies and procedures, with an emphasis on technological applications.
Manage the provision of technical and operational support to program formulation, methodology design and operational set up of DTM programme activities in field missions, including on relevant resource and staff mobilization.
Supervise the development and implementation of standard publishing materials and presentations, various data visualization formats including maps, statistics, online materials and info sheets and in providing technical support related to data presentation needs on various written outputs (e.g. papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.).
Evaluate new applications related to information systems, to new technologies and processes to manage information in response to disasters and/or complex emergencies and make recommendations for their utilization.
Represent IOM in all relevant global interagency works and working groups.
Coordinate the review and adjustment of programme proposals that include DTM component or any other human displacement and mobility data collection at HQ, Regional and country office level to ensure consistency with relevant priorities and programmes of DOE, and with available resources.
Travel to field missions when necessary to support in setting up system for data and information management activities including data collection.
Perform such duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in Information Management, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in development and implementation of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) or similar assessment and information management activities, emergency humanitarian operations; management and coordination of information flows, data management including collection, storing, processing, and analysing data to generate information products;
• Demonstrated ability to supervise and manage staff and activities at an operational level in humanitarian emergencies and/or major data collection operations;
• Experience in the development and implementation of a population database;
• Experience and skills to analyse statistical information; Expertise on data processing and analysis software Excel, SPSS, Tableau or others.)
• Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets;
• Knowledge in advanced data visualization and information design skills.
• Documented experience of using system analysis methods and data modelling tools, relational
databases and oriented programming would be an advantage;
• Experience using two or more of the following tools: Access, Visual Basic, Java, ASP, SQL or
• Experience in the development and implementation of population database systems (such as registrations, census or surveys);
• Experience with Windows Server software (NT/2000) in a site environment, TCP/IP, MS Office, data analysis with Excel, Antivirus software and IT utilities.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic, Spanish and French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 12 April 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 30.03.2016 to 12.04.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/74 (P) - Information Management Officer (DTM) (P3) - Geneva, Switzerland
Posting: Posting NC54776503 (54776503) Released
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-04-12