Deputy Regional Director DRC MENA
Are you a leader in the field of operations management in the humanitarian context? Do you have a passion for ensuring compliance in humanitarian work and outstanding finance and risk management skills and experience? Are you a strong leader with excellent communication skills and clear strategic vision? If so, then this position could be for you.
Who are we?
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey and a Regional Office in Amman. DRC has 20 offices and more than one thousand staff members across the MENA region.
Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries. The position as Deputy Regional Director (DRD) is a cornerstone in maintaining high quality in DRC’s operations.
About the job
In close collaboration with the Regional Director and the Country Directors, the DRD’s prime objective is to promote optimal and accountable usage of resources. The DRD is coordinating support to and ensures supervision of the country programmes to ensure that DRC’s operations are characterised by quality, consistency and compliance in line with DRC regional and global strategic priorities, guidelines and requirements.
The DRD is expected to have senior level management experience and a demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and resource mobilization, be able to conceptualize and articulate DRC’s vision, and have the strong oral and written communication skill required to translate the vision into action.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of regional and global strategic priorities especially in relation to accountability and quality.
- Ensure that DRC MENA is organised and managed optimally to pursue opportunities while at the same time operate in compliance with minimum requirements and relevant guidelines.
- Engage with country programmes to ensure that the financial management, procurement, logistics, and human resources management etc. fulfils the highest standards of accountability and that the necessary systems and resources are in place to minimise and investigate fraud and misconduct.
- Take a coordinating role to ensure that the rollout of new support systems and tools is successful as well as to take initiative to and potentially lead the development and implementation of new systems throughout the region.
- Promote and ensure a consistent focus on recruiting, retaining and developing staff including opportunities and needs for sharing resources across the region.
- Manage the regional support staff and provide technical management of country based Heads of Finance and Administration.
- If necessary and in consultation with the Regional Director, to fill gaps in key position within the country programmes.
The DRD reports to the DRC MENA Regional Director and is part of the Regional Senior Management Team. The DRD works in close cooperation and coordination with the country programmes in the MENA region, and with relevant Global Specialist Leads and the Extended Regions Support Unit in HQ. The DRD is the line manager of the operational support staff in the Regional Office including Finance, Administration, HR, Logistics.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- A Master’s Degree or advanced professional qualification in Finance or Business Administration;
- At least 5 years of senior leadership experience in senior operations management roles;
- Experience working for a leading INGO, with in depth knowledge of INGO rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates in the MENA region and sensitivity to the socio-cultural context;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels;
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking ability;
- Proven ability to work effectively with others to achieve results;
- Ability and willingness to travel within the MENA region, including Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Libya, Tunisia and Algeria;
- Fluency in English.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 2 year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from June 2016 and be willing and able to work in Amman, Jordan.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level A3.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 23rd April 2016. The interviews are expected to take place the last week of April.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact Peter Klansoe at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to Peter will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Amman
- Grade: P-1, International Professional - Junior level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-05-01