Snr Portfolio Mgmt Officer
Senior Portfolio Management Officer
Portfolio management encompasses the processes, governance and tools used to plan, create, assess, balance and communicate the execution of the ICT project portfolio. The main responsibility of the ICT Portfolio Manager is to provide governance oversight and support for a portfolio of projects and other initiatives delivered by DIST. The ICT Portfolio Manager will work with ICT and business colleagues to perform financial and business analyses, cost-benefit and ROI studies, cost/schedule/risk management, performance measurement, and capital planning for ICT investments as directed by the ICT Governance Board. S/he is responsible for supervising the Portfolio Management Associate in Geneva and reports to the Director/Chief Information Officer. This position requires liaising closely with the Business Relationship Management Service to ensure business requirements are met, project standards are followed, and future demand is captured. The incumbent is expected working closely with the Project Managers to ensure that ICT projects are led and managed in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- ICT projects are effectively governed and adhere to ICT guidelines, procedures and standards.
- ICT project benefits are realized according to the agreed upon business cases.
- ICT project governance processes and sizing of new ICT projects within UNHCR are effectively decided and managed.
- Engage with senior ICT and business leadership in the strategic planning process for DIST on the risks and benefits of specific portfolio activities.
- Develop and manage the relationship between ICT and other stakeholders with the goal of defining, planning, prioritizing, building, assessing and executing the ICT portfolio based on a set of agreed-on criteria for value to the business and weighted by risk.
- Oversee, manage and leverage the entire life cycle of IT project investments from defining and targeting the investment mix, to planning the portfolio structure, packaging and communicating the portfolio plan, and tracking and measuring results.
- Ensure effective project portfolio planning, adherence to Portfolio Management methods and standards, and manage portfolio administration, controls, reporting and communication.
- Act as primary liaison between the DIST and the ICT Governance Board (ICTGB) to enable effective decision making and delivering business value for ICT investments.
- Act as a conduit for information flow between DIST and the business community, as well as with appropriate external stakeholders.
- Assist the CIO and senior ICT and business management in developing, executing, and communicating ICT-business vision, mission and goals.
- Develop, prioritize, coordinate and communicate the goals and processes necessary for implementing the portfolio.
- Work closely with the Business Relationship Management group to proactively provide the ICT and business community with information concerning specific business opportunities where technology can enhance the value of the business.
- Evaluate and assess risk as part of the life cycle analysis of portfolio components.
- Maintain an understanding of enterprise business initiatives and objectives, the various line portfolios, and current trends and developments in the technology field.
- Analyze portfolio performance, and recommend changes in investment mix to achieve goals.
- Identify, manage and deliver opportunities for improvements to the PMO Governance Model.
- Use reporting tools to monitor portfolio activities, and regularly brief senior IT and business management on portfolio performance.
- Supervise the members of the Portfolio Management Staff.
- Develop and enforce the Portfolio Office Terms-of-Reference and governance framework.
- Develop, maintain and ensure compliance of Administrative Instructions on ICTGB Terms-of Reference and ICT Project Governance.
- Ensure gateway reviews are conducted and signed-off for all ICT programmes and projects in UNHCR.
- Undertake other tasks or assignments within his / her area of competence as directed by CIO.
- Approve project sizing and relevant governance profess for new ICT projects.
- Approve and sign-off ICT portfolio change requests.
- Authorize gateway reviews for all ICT projects.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in ICT or relevant subject.
- Minimum 12 years of experience (10 years with advanced university degree), 7 of those in a project, programme or portfolio management role.
- Possess a distinctive blend of business, ICT, financial and communication skills
- Sound understanding of technology and its application to achieve business objectives.
- Prince 2 or PMBOK equivalent project management qualifications.
- Project Management experience running medium to large sized ICT projects.
- Experience of portfolio management, project governance and reporting.
- Good knowledge of business area activities.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience setting portfolio & project management standards for a global organisation.
- Experience of how projects are initiated and run within the UN system.
- Previous experience implementing a project governance process.
- Working knowledge of other UN languages.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-06-09