Chief of Party - Kenya
MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 40 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia, and Medford, Massachusetts, US headquarters, our staff from more than 70 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Chief of Party for a potential five -year human resources for health program in Kenya. The purpose of the program is to strengthen the health workforce at the national and county level, while making it more efficient, effective and market driven.
The Chief of Party leads and manages the project and is accountable for project deliverables and results, with full accountability and authority for the development, execution, and monitoring of the project, including vision and technical strategy; project management; documentation and communication; client(s) stakeholder(s) relationships; and coordination and synergy with other MSH projects and collaboration with MSH Country Representative and the Country Operations Management Unit (COMU) where applicable. This accountability includes effective contribution to business and resource development activities - including positioning, intelligence gathering, and proposal development - that contribute to fueling MSH’s mission.
- Oversees implementation of program activities and provides high quality technical and strategic leadership, managerial oversight, and administration of the project.
- Serves as the primary project liaison from MSH to the donor and is accountable for the achievement of results, ensuring quality of services is maintained at the highest standard, and that all project objectives and deliverables are met.
- Safeguard MSH’s reputation by ensuring that financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity is maintained and strengthened.
Technical Strategy and Vision:
- Develop (update and adapt as needed) and execute project results framework, performance monitoring plan, technical strategy, M&E plan and annual work plans as per contract/agreement requirements, MSH technical frameworks and standards, and results monitoring system (RMS) guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum project impact and business development using a variety of communication strategies and media.
Project and People Management:
- Ensure effective contract/agreement implementation in strict compliance with contract/agreement clauses, MSH and donor policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure project staffing, structure and reporting relationships are aligned with project needs, local context and available resources.
- Manage and mentor the project team as per MSH policies and guidelines and implement an effective performance-management program including regular check-ins, annual appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support.
Client and other Stakeholder Relationships:
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Identify and keep track of new business opportunities, communicating them to the relevant internal MSH stakeholders.
Coordination and Synergy:
- Collaborate with the MSH Country Representative and participate as required in activities organized in the context of MSH Representation in country.
- Ensure harmonious collaboration with and cost-effective use of the Country Operations Management Unit.
MPH, MBA or master's level degree in social sciences, international development or related field.
8 years of experience of progressively responsible, related experience is required (10 years preferred)**.**
Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably with government agencies, NGOs, private sector groups, US government, and donor organizations
Demonstrated leadership and management abilities.
Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills.
Subject-matter expertise in technical content areas of human resources for health relevant to the project (preferred).
Prior experience and success directing similar or larger international donor-funded projects (preferred).
Familiarity with US government regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects (preferred).
Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams with project mission and vision. Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
Fluency in English and Swahili required.
Kenyan candidates are preferred.
MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national origin, age, veteran’s status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-09-01