Project Support Manager
Maban | Juba
Role and Responsibilities
Responsible for the efficient and effective running of the Maban base. Coordinate and manage the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles, the Project Support Manager (PSM) also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI & Emergency Shelter distributions across fixed and emergency response locations throughout South Sudan. Medair’s goal in Maban County is to reduce morbidity and mortality to vulnerable refugee and host populations through the provision of emergency water, sanitation and hygiene promotion and health care services.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Maban, South Sudan
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum contract 12months
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
· Ensure the smooth running of the Maban base including line managing the Senior Facilities Officer to ensure the effective running of the compound and facilities.
· Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
· Manage the Human Resources, supervising HR and supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
· Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc.
· Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage / warehousing / inventories and transportation.
· Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
· Submit accurate and timely internal reports as required by the Juba office. Contribute on request to external reports.
· Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all Maban related transactions.
· Manage and oversee the assigned staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
· Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
· Ensure clear communication lines and good functional relationships between the programmes staff and the support staff.
· In conjunction with the Project Coordinator and relevant Project Managers review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
· Adhere to existing security procedures.
· Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing of incident reports.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
· Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
· University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification
· Professional qualification in business administration / accounting / human resources / logistics desirable
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)**Experience / Competencies**
2 years post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession
· Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in a finance and logistics position and / or programme support / assistance
· Previous experience in South Sudan desirable
Excellent project management skills; good budget design and management skills; good understanding of cash management and financial planning; good understanding of logistics systems, logistics and procurement planning
Good negotiation skills; problem solving ability; excellent communication skills
Committed to consultative and servant leadership; experience and willingness in training / mentoring staff; able to prioritise clearly, oversee multiple tasks and delegate wisely
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels
· Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
· Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers)
· Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers)
· Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
· Overseas intercultural experience
· Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts
· Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
· Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes
· Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
· Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
· Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
· All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
· Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing
· Security training for those going to insecure environments
· Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
· Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service)
· Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food)
· Annual leave
· Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing
· Disability insurance
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
· A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month
· Contribution matching programme for retirement savings
· Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts
· Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs
Specific benefits for New Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience)
· USD 300 per month
· As soon as 12 months relief work or its equivalent has been completed, a salary based upon the grade of the position, starting from USD 1,700 per month, and other experienced relief worker benefits
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Follow this link: www.medair.org/work-with-us, check if you are an Experienced or New Relief Worker and that you fit our standard working criteria, then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile)**, or**
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Maban | Juba
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Project and Programme Management
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Response and Recovery)
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Closing Date: 2016-06-27