SITE OPERATIONS OFFICER
The closure of borders in early March 2016 has triggered a build-up of refugee and migrant population on mainland Greece. The displaced population is currently accommodated in 34 emergency reception sites across the mainland, which will keep receiving additional influx from the Greek islands and spontaneous camps over the next weeks. The emergency reception sites are under the management and responsibility of the Ministry of Migration Policy (MoMP) or the Ministry of Defense (MoD).
With the overall objective of urgently improving the quality of the protection environment and conditions for persons likely in need of international protection, DRC projects seek to support primary duty-bearers (Ministry of Migration Policy as the primary actor) to the furthest extent possible through the implementation of protection, site management services, shelter, WASH and other activities in emergency reception centres across the mainland, commencing in the old airport (Elleniku II).
Under supervision of the Site Operations Coordinator, the Site Operations Officer will provide overall support to DRC’s day-to-day operations in the emergency reception sites, ensuring high quality implementation of all DRC activities related to distributions, site maintenance and infrastructure improvement works.
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Support organizing and overseeing general or targeted distributions, ensuring accountability and compliance with DRC standards
- Support with drafting detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) regarding the most relevant logistics processes for distribution of food and core relief items, including storage, transportation, manpower required, use of resources and division of responsibilities between DRC units
- Support in establishing and maintaining an efficient warehousing system, compliant with DRC regulations, to ensure adequate storage, inventory and tracking of project materials
- Support to the Site Operations Coordinator and logistics department in the identification of local suppliers and contractors, in line with DRC procedures and donor requirements, to ensure efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources
- Oversee activity of contractors to ensure smooth, reliable and effective implementation of any construction or maintenance works undertaken by DRC in the emergency reception sites
- Coordinate with the logistics department to ensure timely delivery of project materials on site
- Actively contribute to the implementation of measures to minimize negative environmental impact
- Support in drafting of relevant technical reports and assessments for internal and external use
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
- Any other tasks assigned by the Site Operations Coordinator to support DRC’s emergency response.
The position is supervised by: Site Operation Coordinator
- University degree in a related technical field (e.g. Engineering, Architecture, Logistics..)
- Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills
- Working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is a strong advantage
- At least three years working experience in a related field Previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This position is requested for a period of eight months with potential to extend based on performance, DRC requirements and availability of funds.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences. DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Athens (Greece)
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 22nd of April.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Athens (Greece)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-06-25