Country Director - Malawi
The Country Director will promote the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation’s mission of eliminating pediatric HIV/AIDS through its global strategic plan by leading and managing the country program strategy and team as well as the effective and efficient delivery and expansion of Foundation supported country programs and services in collaboration with local government, donors and other stakeholders in Malawi. The Country Director will lead and facilitate the development, review and implementation of Strategic and Business Plans to ensure the Malawi Country Program remains strategically focused, viable and competitive. Serving on the Global Leadership team, the Country Director will collaborate with global support units to ensure that the following goals are achieved:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Developing a cohesive and productive team, creating goals, communicating direction, utilizing creative thinking, and demonstrating good judgment and decision making. Being a strong example to others through a productive work environment and supporting ongoing development of staff; working in close collaboration with global support units specifically Country Officers and the Global Support Team.
- Develop and implement a long-term strategy for the Foundation's work in Malawi.
- Provide effective and efficient management and supervision of the country team to ensure that it functions in a strong, effective, collaborative and productive fashion; ensure effective collaboration and partnering between country and global support teams.
- Ensure that strong, effective, and collaborative communications exist between the Programs and Operations teams.
- Provide effective and efficient management and supervision of all direct and indirect reports and oversee the maintenance and functioning of a strong and effective team.
- Develop mechanisms to build the leadership and management capacity of the senior leadership team and mid-level managers.
- Oversee development of staff supervision and recruitment systems, as well as staff development, training, mentoring, and performance assessment.
- Monitor, evaluate and report on all program activities and progress to the Foundation’s central office and donors.
Ensuring efficient department operations and demonstrating strong management skills by setting effective work plans, ensuring appropriate staffing and training, implementing effective time management and providing clear and effective communications to country and global staff.
- Oversee program implementation, operations and reporting, ensuring compliance with Foundation policies, USG rules and regulations, donor agreements, MOH policies, and Malawi law.
- Supervise the Director of Operations to ensure that the program‘s corporate services follow Foundation policies and procedures and meet all program, donor and legal commitments.
- Manage program and operational budgets in accordance with the Foundation's procedures, submitting timely reports along with all supporting data, and be directly responsive to EGPAF’s Controller and Chief Operating Officer on all fiscal matters.
- Ensure that the program’s human and financial resources are managed in line with the EGPAF policies, donor requirements and national policies/laws.
Program and Technical Support
Understanding programmatic and technical aspects of program needs and with the country and global teams appropriately applying procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies ensuring technical goals are attained and programmatic commitments to donors and partners are met.
- Ensure execution of quality program implementation plans and achievement of program targets consistent with donor and MOH expectations, country work plan, country strategic plan and global strategic plan.
- Lead the preparation and implementation of the agreement work plans, country program strategic and operational plans for programs/services in keeping with the overall goals and objectives of the Foundation and the MOH in Malawi*.*
- Ensure timely and effective monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on all program activities and progress to the Foundation’s US offices, relevant donors and the MOH, as appropriate.
- Supervise the Technical Director and technical team and ensure that the program meets appropriate quality standards targets and deliverables outlined in the cooperative agreement and satisfies other program commitments for service implementation, M&E, policy/advocacy, and research.
- Facilitate staff development of innovative ideas and solutions to address program and country needs related to Foundation’s mission.
- Ensure that the Foundation provides quality technical, financial, and material inputs and assistance to local implementing health facilities/sub-grantees and ensure that their technical and financial performance is of a high standard.
Program and Foundation Representation
Acting as the primary spokesperson for the Foundation at all stakeholder levels incountry, as EGPAF’s representative for internal and external communications and visitors and provide reports and proposals to all stakeholders. To advance advocacy and policy efforts in the country related to the Foundation’s mission at the national and local level so as to identify and influence decision makers in the area of pediatric HIV/AIDS policy and associated funding opportunities.
- Represent the Foundation in Malawi to the Government, the USG, other donors, NGOs, private companies, and relevant stakeholders.
- Serve as the Foundation’s principal liaison with USG and other donors on matters related to the program, and ensure financial and programmatic accountability. Work with key USG or other donor staff to develop and maintain an optimal financial and programmatic relationship.
- Work in collaboration with the Global Communication, Advocacy and Development Team to advance advocacy and policy efforts in the country related to the Foundation’s mission at the national and local level.
- Work with stakeholders and partners to support national guidelines, standards, policies, and procedures related to our programs, with the focus on eliminating pediatric HIV/AIDS.
- Develop and enhance sound relationships and communication between the country office and EGPAF US based offices, other EGPAF Africa country offices, local and international stakeholders related to our program efforts.
New Business Development
Maintaining and securing mid- to long-term funding for the country program by actively seeking diversified international and local sources of funding in view of identified country program needs and/or local requests related to the Foundation’s mission.
- Work in collaboration with the New Business Development support team and the Development unit to identify and develop relationships and initiatives to secure additional and longer term funding from international and local sources.
- Interface with the national government and relevant agencies to ensure mutual understanding of programs and optimize resource distribution and the allocation of available funds.
- Oversee the preparation of annual country operating plans, country reviews, strategic and business plans and proposals to other funders as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree plus higher education (MD, MPH, MBA, MSc, MA).
- 8+ years successful experience managing complex multi-sector programs in an African setting; experience in Malawi preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of developing program activities, including HIV service delivery, capacity building, and public health and program monitoring in collaboration with MOH departments and other stakeholders. Comprehensive knowledge of HIV prevention, care and treatment programs.
- At least 5 years proven experience in managing US government grants and/or cooperative agreements. Other international donor experiences an advantage.
- At least 5 years proven experience in leading and managing staff, including recruitment, staff development, training, mentoring, and performance assessment.
- Demonstrated financial management experience, including the preparation and management of budgets and contracts, and the management of banking activities and relationships including the adherence to procurement procedures.
- Proven experience in networking, public relations, communications, advocacy and new business development.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 30%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Energetic, independent, self-motivated individual with a solutions based approach while demonstrating innovation, integrity, quality, creativity, flexibility and resilience.
- Strong understanding of the international development context and experience in the international development sector (NGO, direct bilateral, multilateral relationships) and with cross cultural teams.
- Knowledge of principles and practices governing CDC, USAID, and/or other US Federal grant programs.
- Excellent strategic planning skills, including the ability to merge the technical and operational demands of the program into a cohesive structure.
- Knowledge and experience of development program quality strengthening including program sustainability, capacity building, project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative) and related data and fiscal reporting.
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English and excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, as well as the ability to express facts and ideas in a clear, convincing and organized manner.
- Ability to cultivate effective communication channels between the country office and EGPAF global offices and Malawi office, and between EGPAF team and other partners/stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and presentation skills with small and large audiences. Confidence in handling prominent gatherings, media and events where high-level protocol is to be observed.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while working as part of a team, including the support and management of staff across multiple country-wide locations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
To apply, please submit your CV and application at http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=PEDAIDS&cws=1&rid=1021
- Organization: Pedaids - Pediatric AIDS
- Location: Lilongwe
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-05-31