MIS (Management Information Systems) Assistant
Kakuma - Kenya
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC has been active in Kenya since 2005. The Kenya Program provides services and support in the sectors of livelihoods, community development, and protection and for refugees residing in Kenya and the resident hosting communities. DRC has operational offices in Nairobi, Dadaab and Kakuma implementing programs directly and in partnership with local NGOs. The DRC Kenya program is seeking qualified candidates for the following positions;
Provide technical support and be the main point of contact for IT related issues in DRC Kakuma offices. A management information systems (MIS) Assistant is responsible for planning, development and implementation of hardware, software applications, programming & systems network and integration of a management information system or enterprise network. The MIS also has personnel, branch and supervisory responsibilities as well as creating plans for the use of telecommunications integration with existing information systems
- Function as the main point of contact for IT related issues in the use of computers, software and other communication equipment in Kakuma field offices
- Provide technical advisory services in relation to new networking or appropriate technology for office use.
- Troubleshoot/diagnose problems and react accordingly
- Advise and instruct staff (users) on IT best practices, internet and e-mail usage and appropriate course of action where problems are encountered
- Liaise with Kenya Programme MIS Officer on IT equipment that need repair/replacement
- Prepare an inventory schedule of all IT equipment and software in use
- Carry out simple and brief, on the job training for staff as required.
- Perform preventive maintenance services of IT equipment and peripherals as needed
- Interface with users to identify computer related needs and provide appropriate software/hardware support applicable to those needs
- Assist with the release of information relating to systems upgrades and changes to processes
- Monitor DRC Kakuma offices links utilization to ensure optimum services availability
- Liaise with the MIS Officer regarding issues/faults in a timely manner
- Oversee the Kakuma DRC Kenya Office computer networks to ensure that they function smoothly
- Install all new hardware, systems, and software for networks.
- Document network problems and resolution for future reference
- As required, provide networking and internet services upgrade solutions
Backup, Antivirus & Security
- Perform backups as scheduled and ensure data integrity
- Configure centralized antivirus admin kit and ensures antivirus program is up-to-date
- Manage user accounts, permissions, email, and anti-virus, anti-spam
- Prepare a comprehensive monthly report of the IT occurrences to Area Manager, HoFA and the MIS Officer
- Perform any other IT related assignment allocated within the specified time
Skills & Qualifications:
- Advanced Diploma in Information Technology or other related field from a recognized institution
- At least 2 years’ experience working in an IT support environment
- Demonstrable experience in Virtualization and cloud computing
- Experience of working with networked computing systems/windows TCP/IT networking experience
- Knowledge of and competence in Microsoft operating systems and office suites
- High level of hardware/software troubleshooting experience
- Quick in learning new systems
- Able to work under harsh and extreme conditions, good judgment and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate a customer-focused, motivated and pro-active approach to your work
- Excellent communication skills, and fluent in spoken English and Kiswahili
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in a difficult work environment
- The MIS officer must have excellent supervisory skills and must be able to communicate with management and users topics relating to the operation of an MIS system. The individual must also have excellent knowledge of enterprise networks and systems, consisting of mainframe and midrange computers, IT hardware and infrastructure support, microcomputer management, data management and security. Strong problem-solving and analytical skills are needed in this occupation.
Reports to Finance & Admin Officer.
Duty Station: Kakuma Trukana County, Kenya.
Contract: 4 Months, with possibility of renewal
Posting details: This position is partly field based in non-family duty stations.
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability committments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html)
All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership Standard in Accountability and Quality Management.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation and qualifications and a CV. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees who have supervised the candidate in the last five years. One referee must be the applicant’s most recent line manager. Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications should be sent no later than: 5th May, 2016.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Kakuma - Kenya
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-05-05