Research Consultant in Socio-Cultural Anthropology, Adolescents 360
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Opportunity Research Consultant in Socio-Cultural Anthropology
Department Family Planning/Reproductive Health
Reports to the Deputy Director, Strategic Research & Evaluation
Who we are We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Join us! PSI seeks a Research Consultant specializing in Socio-Cultural Anthropology to support the design, analysis, and application of qualitative research on adolescent girls' sexual and reproductive health in Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
With the generous support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Children's Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), PSI is implementing Adolescents 360, an innovative investment with a consortium of partners including the Society for Family Health/Nigeria (SFH/Nigeria), Triggerise, the Center on the Developing Adolescent from the University of California, Berkeley, IDEO.org, and Ogilvy & Mather Africa. The project will work with adolescents, young people, parents, community members, providers, and policy makers in Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania to design scalable, cost-effective models aimed at increasing voluntary, modern contraceptive use among adolescent girls aged 15-19.
Qualitative research in Ethiopia and Nigeria will be used to launch an intensive user-centered design process to develop these models. This research will incorporate youth participatory action research approaches and methods of design research. We seek a Research Consultant with in-depth experience in socio-cultural anthropology to incorporate key tenets of anthropological theory and analysis into the conduct of this research process. The Consultant will also support interpretation of findings and their application in programmatic decision-making on the design of models that account for the socio-cultural contexts in which adolescent girls grow and develop.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Provide technical review of study protocols for Ethiopia and Nigeria to ensure technically appropriate application of ethnographic and other qualitative data collection methods to address sexuality, marriage, and child-bearing within specified geographic and cultural regions of Ethiopia and Nigeria and in collaboration with user-centered design and developmental neuroscience partners
- Advise on field data collection plans to be implemented by PSI and partners, including youth researchers
- Provide technical review of data analysis plans to ensure integration of specific anthropological modes of analysis and interpretation for data collected, which may include photo or verbal narrative, observation, interview transcripts, and field notes
- Participate in project synthesis meetings to support application of findings into model ideation in a manner that addresses socio-cultural norms regarding adolescent girls and their identity formation processes on sexuality, marriage, and child-bearing
What are we looking for? The basics**
- PhD in socio-cultural or applied anthropology and 5 years of experience; or MA in socio-cultural or applied anthropology and 10 years of experience
- Demonstrated experience conducting anthropological research in sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in the Horn of Africa, the Sahel and/or southern Nigeria
- Expertise in adolescent sexual and reproductive health highly desired, including conduct of research with girls and their families
- Familiarity with user-centered design and market research approaches to conducting qualitative research
What would get us excited? Pragmatic: You have experience conducting research with research partners outside of academia and focus on practical, cost-effective and creative solutions. Strong Communicator: You communicate effectively with researchers and non-researchers along a variety of learning curves and needs. You have excellent written, verbal and inter-personal communication skills. Self-starter:** You can work independently, manage your own projects, and meet deadlines. PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
- Organization: PSI - Population Services International
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: 2016-05-21