Senior Gender Outreach Specialist
Duration of the assignment: 12 months
Duty station: Mogadishu
Supervisor: The Ministry of Interior and Federal Affairs (MoIFA)
In support of the Ministry’s efforts to promote women empowerment and gender equality, the Ministry wishes to recruit a Senior Gender Outreach Specialist with the specific role to support the MOIFA in coordinating and raising awareness on gender and issues pertaining to women’s participation and representation in public and political sphere.
The objective of the post is to provide high-level support to the Special Programme Directorate to design and disseminate appropriate communication campaigns to promote women’s empowerment, leadership and increased political participation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With support from Senior Gender Policy Advisor and consultation with the DG, engage Key ministries and other key actors at state and district levels in a discussion on The Internal Gender Mainstreaming policy in the light of various normative instruments and facilitate a discussion on what this would mean for Somalia.
- Support the arrangement of a workshop to present and discuss Internal Gender mainstreaming Policies in other fragile states, the main pillars of the UNSCR 1325, and what this would mean for a series of key sectors, and agree on a suggested way forward with key priorities.
- Lead if required in conducting consultative workshops, document the proceedings and incorporate recommendations.
- With support from Senior Gender Policy Advisor plan close consultations at the regional and district level on key content of the policy and what would be required for implementation
- Support the Senior MOIFA Leadership in the design and facilitation of a workshop with relevant ministries at the DG level for the implementation of the Internal Gender Mainstreaming Policy and Action Plan to obtain their views roles and responsibilities in its implementation
- Ensure the dissemination of the draft policy to interested international and national partners, including multi- and bilateral partners, AU, and human rights organisations.
- Draft speeches and other communiqués on the subject matter for the ministry.
- Engage with local media house to design and disseminate special public outreach media campaigns in each region on women’s political participation
- Plan dissemination workshops and media campaigns in all the regions with support from the Senior Gender advisor.
- Design campaigns for the ministry for increased political participation of women.
- Produce a media and outreach plan for the ministry.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- A Master’s Degree in media studies, journalism, political science, development studies, public policy, gender studies or related At least seven (7) years of professional experience working with media sector on social inclusion, political participation, and gender policy issues, and experience in coordination and networking at a high level.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a complex environment and to be able to deliver through translating ideas and visions into practice.
- Excellent report writing, drafting and presentation skills, and ability to collate information cogently and concisely;
- Willingness to travel to other locations such inside the country and potentially to other regions;
- A solid understanding of gender issues in Somalia.
- Knowledge of the international agenda on gender issues a significant advantage.
- Experience in dealing with partners at all levels including government officials, civil society organizations and other national counterparts.
- Competence in the use of standard software application (Office, Mac OS, etc.);
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in both Somali and English is required
- Perform other related duties as required.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY