Site Operations Assistant – national contract
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the Site Operations Officer and in close collaboration with other DRC field units, the Site Operations Assistant will be responsible for supporting DRC’s day-to-day activities related to distributions, site care and maintenance, infrastructure improvements and construction works in the emergency reception sites under DRC’s area of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Participate in distributions of food and non-food items and support the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for food and NFI distributions in the emergency reception sites, in close coordination with other DRC field units
- Support in organizing warehousing facilities to ensure adequate storage, inventory and tracking of project materials and/or donations
- Actively participate in all DRC activities related to overall site improvement and maintenance
- As necessary, oversee activity of contractors to ensure smooth, reliable and effective implementation of any construction or maintenance works undertaken by DRC in the emergency reception sites
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary
- Actively contribute to the implementation of measures to minimize negative environmental impact
- Support in drafting of relevant technical reports and assessments for internal and external use.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
- Any other tasks assigned by the Site Operations Officer to support DRC’s emergency response
- University degree in a related technical field
- Strong verbal and written English skills
- Working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is an added advantage
- At least one year working experience in a related field. Previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
The position will be based in Thessaloniki (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 8th of May.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Thessaloníki
- Grade: Services and Support - Administrative support
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-05-08