Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
Garoowe | Mogadishu
CARE is an organization driven by its mission to overcome poverty and social injustice. Together with its partners, CARE Somalia works with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty by empowering women, enhancing access to resources and services, and improving governance. CARE Somalia is Urban Youth Programme is seeking applications from qualified and talented candidates for the position of M&E Manager who will work closely with the Program Coordinator Urban Youth Program and other program staff. The position will be based in Garowe(50%)in the Puntland State of Somalia and will also support Somaliland and Juba land programs.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager is responsible for the monitoring and evaluation systems for the Urban Youth Programme. He/she will work in close coordination with Urban Youth program teams such as the Consortium Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Area Manager, project staff and field based M&E staff. He/she will be responsible for monitoring and evaluating initiatives, programs and projects, both new and established, providing accountability and ensuring efficiency and success from the beginning to the end of projects. The incumbent will be responsible for establishing; modifying and monitoring key programme performance indicators and record physical progress for specific programmes and projects within the Urban Youth Programme. In addition, he/she will play significant role in program development including log frame and M&E plan development, donor level reporting, data/information management, and capacity building of CARE and partner staff in Somalia.
R1: Monitoring and evaluation of ongoing projects
· Support and facilitate the design of programme level M&E frameworks for the Urban Youth Programme that meets or exceeds donor M&E and reporting requirements.
- Provide technical guidance and support to CARE and partner staff in monitoring of ongoing projects in line with approved project designs
- Lead in development of appropriate tools for project monitoring or review existing tools to be in line with the needs of each of project.
- Lead in evaluation of all ending projects. This will include identification of consultants (if required) development /review of tools and technical review of reports.
- Undertake regular field monitoring of all ongoing projects in close coordination with Consortium coordinator, Program Coordinator, Education Managers, Area managers and provide clear recommendations to programme teams.
- Develop, maintain and update as necessary the M&E plans for Urban Youth Programme projects consistent with the approved project M&E frameworks
R2: Program development
- Together with urban Youth programme team, lead in conducting multi-sectoral assessments to collect comprehensive and reliable information on the needs and priorities of populations of concern with objective of writing new grant proposals.
- Contribute to program design to ensure adherence to minimum standards including the use of standardized indicators and documentation methodologies
- Lead in planning and design of all field assessments to ensure quality data collection
- Prepare and submit high quality assessment reports to be used for program development and decision-making.
- Represent CARE and actively participate in inter agency assessments conducted within the Urban Youth programmme geographic areas of intervention.
- Provide significant contribution to the development of project proposals
- Contribute to Urban Youth programme strategy development processes.
R3: Program reporting
- Take the lead in collecting, analyzing and reporting on relevant indicators for donor reports as well organizational-wide M&E system.
- Review internal program progress reports such as monthly reports and provide feedback to teams.
- Contribute to development and reviews of donor reports
- Analyze reporting gaps within the different projects and identify corrective actions needed
R4: Program data management and analysis
- Together with the Urban Youth programme team, harmonize and standardize existing data collection, analysis and reporting tools and systems in line with CARE Somalia’s Management Information System as well as specific project needs of the Urban Youth Programme.
- Undertake analysis and reporting of all data collected from the field and identify learning points /trends for improving program quality.
- Closely work with the MIS Coordinator to manage the country office MIS system. This will include updating the MIS systems to ensure Urban Youth Programme data is captured on regular basis.
- Develop a clear mechanism of tracking performance indicators for all projects. This will include development of M&E plans for new and/or ongoing projects.
- Monitor progress of programme indicators, maintain programme data repository and keep up to date record of all data/information required for measuring project performance indicators
Maintain programme data repository and facilitate the storage, archiving and easy retrieval of program data organized by projects, locations of action and temporal distribution, and suggest better methods for improving existing data management systems.
R5: Staff Capacity building Undertake M&E knowledge skills capacity assessment of CARE and partner programme staff and provide recommendations for addressing any gaps identified
Design and implement tailored in –house M&E trainings for CARE and partner staff
R6: Staff supervision Directly supervise day to day roles of 2 programme staff with M&E functions
Undertake performance management of staff supervised
R7: Other cross cutting roles
- Establish working relationships with the rest of the country office M&E coordinators /advisors
- Contribute to overall CARE Somalia M&E system development /management
- Share/ exchange M&E knowledge and experiences with other CARE programmes
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum University degree in social sciences, information management, Statistics or other closely related disciplines with additional training on M&E
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience in programme monitoring and evaluation preferably in NGO set up
- Experience working on projects funded by major humanitarian donors, such as the EU, USAID, and EAC an added advantage
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Capacity to produce high quality programme reports
- High-level proficiency in Ms. Excel and quantitative analysis techniques such as SPSS, STATA, etc.
- Ability to design M&E tools
- Ability to meet strict deadlines in high-pressure environments.
- Must have the ability to work independently and have good initiative
- Ability to travel extensively to the field locations
- Prior experience working in Somalia
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 May , 2016. Kindly indicate the position title on the subject line when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Organization: CARE
- Location: Garoowe | Mogadishu
- Grade: Mid level
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-05-10