Intern - Information Technology (IT) [Open for ONLY Kenyan Nationals]
INTERNSHIP VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Intern - Information Technology (IT)
Vacancy No: IOMSO\041\2016
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: IOM National Internship Contract
Type of Appointment : 3 to 6 Months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : May 6, 2016**
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The primary function of the Information Technology and Communications Unit (ITC) is to enhance the functions of the IOM Somalia Coordination office in Nairobi through providing daily technical support and troubleshooting of all computer systems with consideration to the needs and requirements of the mission.
Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and under the general supervision of the Resources Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior IT Assistant, the Intern will provide daily technical support and troubleshooting of all computer systems and networking with consideration to the needs and requirements of the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Gain knowledge of IOM IT requirements and standards. Acquire technical knowledge in the area of Information Technology, including Network Maintenance and Support and Helpdesk Management.
Implementation, management and maintenance of Information Technology and Communication services in the Mission.
Development and maintenance of in-house database systems.
Installation, configuration and upgrading desktop and laptop computers and software used in the Mission.
Providing appropriate IT/Communication training to all users in the Mission.
Maintaining necessary documentation for system maintenance and support procedures in the mission.
Performing any other duties as required for time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma/Bachelor’s degree is software engineering and/or computer science.
- 6 months of experience in LAN/WAN networking environment
- Experience with HP/Compaq, IBM, Cisco and Siemon equipment
- Ability to design and configure networks
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of database software (Microsoft SQL and Access) and experience in software development projects based on C#, Java script, .net framework
- Professional-level computer skills (Microsoft Office) which should entail development of macros and formulas in excel.
- Accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Required IOM functional competencies: effective communicator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, team player, and cross cultural facilitator.
- Able to work, independently in stressful conditions, dynamic and results-driven.
Fluency in both written and spoken English. Knowledge of Somali language is an added advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications/CVs’ indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (VN No.) and Name with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
Closing Date: 06 May, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 27.04.2016 to 06.05.2016