MSF is looking for: Energy Mobile Implementation Officer
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) | Freetown | Juba | Sudan
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Logistic Department.
CONTEXT AND GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POST
Along the last years the minimum requirements on electricity supply have become a technical challenge in MSF. Big hospitals providing higher service standards and installations for new constructions are now ordinary part of MSF operations. For one year and half, MSF OCBA implemented a Push Project to improve electrical setups in its projects focus on bringing safety and ensuring continuity of the operations. Empowered by the lesson learnt of this project, a regional support strategy was defined to reinforce and improve the technical support regarding these two technical expertizes.
Accountable to the Head of Operational Logistics and functionally reporting to the Transport and Energy technical referent (TERPO 2), the Mobile Implementation Officer (MIO) will be assigned portfolio of specific missions located in East Africa. Therefore he will also be proactive on organising his own agenda in coordination with the missions, follow up progress of action plans and give direct technical support.
His role is to:
Give a streamlined and close support to the teams on Energy and Electricity, in remote or by field presence, in order to ensure the implementation and respect of the basic standards (policies, procedures and standard setup)
Directly implement (hands on) installations and technical interventions when needed.
Enhance the capacity of the staff involved in the management of this technical expertise, by coaching or the organization of trainings.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN TASKS
The portfolio of missions is likely to changed and be adapted in function of the operational needs. The current missions included are: Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia and eventually Sierra Leone.
· Under Logistics Support Officer-Cell-5 planning and in collaboration with the technical referent and the international MIO, provide a streamlined and first line technical support in order to watch for the implementation of MSF standards, ensuring that the management, the maintenance and the use of the energy setups, in the MSF projects and capital bases and houses are effectively done
· Take along logistic teams in the aim to implement annual action plans by ensuring frequent long distance communication and regular visits to the mission included in the portfolio and maintain close relation with the field logisticians and technical focal points (with a mentoring approach).
· Evaluate regularly the state of the installations, generating systems and its management and update action plans to rectify the problems.
· Train teams and especially local focal persons on electricity basics according MSF standards.
· In collaboration with the Logistics Support Officer-Cell-5, be involved in the briefs and debriefs of the Project/Mission positions and support mission HHRR on selecting appropriate staff.
· Prepare electricity materials orders combining mission needs and technical criteria towards a given strategy when needed.
· Identify and rapidly rectify possible electrical safety risks for persons
· Assist with installation of new setups:
Advice on energy requirements using standard tools.
Designing of electrical drawings as part of the project.
Define needed materials and generate supply orders.
Install equipment needed.
Assess the security and safety regulations at the work place
In case of subcontracted rehabilitation/construction, revise the electrical clauses of the contract and supervise contractors when implementing.
· Be proactive on advising on innovative actions oriented to operational improvements.
· Assess local suppliers of electrical materials.
· Promote the use of electricity calculation and documentation tools.
· Prepare a Visit Report after each field visit.
Participate in the intersectional working dynamic (support other section of MSF in the country if needed).
Support to emergency intervention in the area of expertise if required (particularly in start-up phase).
In case of need, other logistic tasks will be added to the ToR of the implementation visits, such as punctual contributions to the developments of guidance papers.
· Technical education in electricity.
· Experience in implementing and designing electrical installations and in generating systems.
· Field experience in developing countries is a big advantage.
· Previous field experience with MSF is an strong asset.
· Experience in coaching and training of staff.
· Good written and oral communications skills.
· Ability to set priorities and organize his/her own work.
· Fluent written and spoken English. Arabic is highly desirable. French is an asset.
· Commitment to MSF’s Principles
· Cross-cultural Awareness
· Behavioural Flexibility
· Analytical Thinking
· Strategic Vision
· Results and Quality Orientation
· Service Orientation
· Initiative and Innovation
· Teamwork and Cooperation
· Willingness to travel at short notice to whatever context MSF is working in, for missions in principle not exceeding 3 months.
· Training Skills
· Based in the field with frequent travelling and supervisions to the projects (minimum 80 % of his/her working time)
· Temporary contract of one year, renewable.
· Full time work.
· Annual gross salary: 26,981.33 € (divided into 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
· Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-OCBA guideline.
· Starting date: immediately
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “**Energy MIO**” to email@example.com.**
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
Closing date: May 26th, 2016
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del
Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position. t
- Organization: MSF - Canada
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) | Freetown | Juba | Sudan
- Grade: Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Energy sector
- Closing Date: 2016-05-26