Sr. VMMC Technical Advisor
Sr. VMMC Technical Advisor will provide technical and program oversight and direction in the area of Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) and early infant male circumcision (EIMC) to the Strengthening High Impact Interventions for an AIDS-free Generation (AIDSFree) Project. AIDSFree is a five-year cooperative agreement funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development under Cooperative Agreement AID-OAA-A-14-00046. AIDSFree is implemented by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., with partners Abt Associates, Inc., Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, EnCompass LLC, IMA World Health, The International HIV/AIDS Alliance, Jhpiego Corporation, and PATH. AIDSFree supports and advances implementation of the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief by providing capacity development and technical support to USAID missions, host-country governments, and HIV implementers at the local, regional, and national level. Jhpiego leads the VMMC component of AIDSFree. Responsibilities include providing leadership and technical guidance in the development and implementation of VMMC activities under the leadership of the Chief of Party and Jhpiego Technical Director, and utilizing and contributing to cross-cutting approaches, such as quality assurance, counseling and testing and knowledge management, as well as, annual phasing in of activities. This position will ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the project team and partners, support the design of service delivery strategies, based on sound and current scientific evidence.
• Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and ensure appropriate support for the implementation of program activities in VMMC and EIMC under AIDSFree
• Lead the formulation of approaches for the scale up of VMMC services and for the transition to sustainability for those programs completing the catch-up phase • Provide technical assistance in development of and piloting VMMC and early infant male circumcision (EIMC)-related innovations • Provide assistance, mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to VMMC • Collaborate with Ministries of Health, global normative bodies such as WHO and UNAIDS, implementing partners. International donors and other stakeholders on the development and/or revision of comprehensive national VMMC policies, standards and tools in accordance with emerging evidence-based best practices • Develop or update evidence-based clinical training materials, job aids, and curricula, supervisory systems and other training materials needed for by countries involved as requested, including approaches for retaining VMMC providers • Coordinate VMMC assessments, site strengthening, follow-up and supervision, advocacy, demand creation, policy support and capacity-building as required by program activities • Contribute to development, implementation and monitoring of a quality assurance/quality improvement system that meets internationally recognized standards of quality; collaborate with other partners working in the areas of QA/QI • Provide technical assistance to, and as requested conduct, VMMC training programs, including the development of learning objectives, and tools for monitoring and evaluation of training • Contribute to strengthening linkage to care for men testing HIV+ in VMMC services • Contribute to the overall achievement of HIV prevention, care and treatment goals through partnerships and collaborative prioritization of interventions • Actively participate in relevant Technical Working Group Meetings, and represent the AIDSFree Project and Jhpiego in professional fora by participating and presenting in pertinent meetings and conferences • Analyze potential structural barriers and strategies within the context of the VMMC and explain these, as necessary, to policymakers, funding agencies, and/or program staff • Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for VMMC • Conduct regular reporting to the AIDSFree Project Director, program and technical staff, of successes, challenges and lessons learned in implementation • Oversee technical field staff working on AIDSFree core-funded activities • Maintain excellent relationships with USAID VMMC and other prevention staff and in-country VMMC stakeholders • Develop rapid responses to USAID/Washington and USAID Mission requests • Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to VMMC • Provide technical leadership to the development the project strategic plan, work plan, and program monitoring in relation to VMMC/EIMC, in close collaboration with Ministries of Health and USAID • Ensure timely implementation of all program inputs related to VMMC including planning and implementing assessments, site strengthening, follow-up and supervision, advocacy, demand creation, policy support, capacity-building and M&E across program sites, in close coordination and collaboration with USAID, relevant ministries of health • Assist in the preparation of required project reports for the donor • Author abstracts, presentations and peer reviewed papers for scientific conferences and journals
Required Qualifications • Demonstrated ability to liaise with senior leadership within Ministries of Health and NGOs, the for-profit business community, and senior members of the donor community • MD with MPH preferred • 7 years of experience in HIV prevention, care and/or treatment programs in low and middle income countries • 3 years VMMC programming experience preferred • Experience managing, designing, implementing and monitoring international donor-funded health projects with annual budgets of at least $2 million • Experience working in the East and Southern Africa region • Experience training health workers on clinical skills and clinical decision making related to VMMC, ensuring the quality of VMMC services and building capacity at individual and organizational levels • Skill in at least two or more of the following technical areas: • Strengthening service delivery programs • Training • Quality assurance and continuous quality improvement • Monitoring, evaluation and research • Experience with a mix of practical technical skills in VMMC/EIMC necessary for strengthening VMMC/EIMC service delivery at the regional, national, clinical and community-level • Demonstrated in-depth understanding of low and middle-income country healthcare systems, particularly the public health system • Excellent written and verbal communication skills • The position will be based in one of the 14 VMMC priority countries in Southern and Eastern Africa with considerable regional and some international travel.
To apply please go to:
- Organization: Jhpiego - Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-05-12