Flying Accounting Manager (f/m)
MSF Switzerland is implementing “Unifield”, a new information system integrating finance and supply within the same tool, enhancing functional and technical capacities. A specific dedicated deployment team will ensure the successful transition to the new system in every project, through staff training and technical support.
This position is based in the Field, traveling from mission to mission.
MSF operates in more than 20 countries around the world. In each country where MSF works, there is a coordination office (based in the capital city), and projects offices. The administrator (based in the project) is in charge of the financial management of the project, while the finance coordinator (based in the capital) is in charge for the overall financial management of the mission. He is supported by a finance team and notably an accounting manager based in the coordination.
Taking into consideration the new system implemented and the volatility of some contexts where MSF works, MSF Switzerland seeks a Flying Accounting Manager located in the countries of intervention to bring punctual support to the finance teams to ensure quality accounting.
The global role of the Flying Accounting Manager is to provide support to coordination teams in ensuring monthly accounting closure is done within the set deadline and with quality.
The first objective of the Flying Accounting Manager, based on the context and needs of the missions, consists of providing support:
- Provide support to the team in ensuring that the project/mission is ready in terms of accounting and finance procedures to migrate to Unifield
- Provide guidance, support, in aspects related to the OCG accounting policies
- Provide support to the finance coordinator in preparing the mission to shift to the new system (analyses of the finance set-up, recommendation for improving the internal organisation)
- Provide feed-back to the finance and Unifield teams in HQ regarding the needed adjustments of current processes and procedures
The second objective is to act as interim Accounting Manager (e.g. gap filling). It consists to timely review, update and ensure the quality of accounting of a project, or of a whole mission, depending on the mission’s needs. In coordination with the Finance coordinator and the mission’s accounting team, and in compliance to MSF standards and procedures he/she will:
- Timely update the accounting. This may include encoding electronic data-entry, ensuring proper allocation (accounting, analytical and funding), managing paper accounting (vouchers, support documents), ensure completeness and correctness of the data
- consolidate fields & capital accounting
- manage the monthly/annual closing process and related documentation
The Flying Accounting Manager will perform successive short missions in the countries of intervention, according to predefined terms of references.
The length of each mission can vary, usually between 2 weeks and 2 months. A high degree of flexibility is needed, as each mission will need a different kind of support based on the existing set-up.
A short briefing session (1-2 days) will take place in Geneva before each mission, as well as a debriefing session at return. A written detailed report must be written after each mission, to be submitted to the finance controller and accounting unit, as well as the head of operational finance unit.
· University degree in accounting, business administration / finance
· Qualified Chartered Accountant or equivalent (CPA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA) an asset.
· Strong prior experience as an administrator / finance manager / finance coordinator for NGO’s in various contexts, preferably with MSF
· 3 years relevant managerial experience, with demonstrated skills in finance management and team management.
· Familiar with financial tools including ERP systems. Advanced user of Excel & Field accounting packages (SAGA an asset)
· Organised, able to prioritize multiple tasks & meet deadlines. Excellent logic & analytic skills. Solution oriented.
· Flexibility, good interpersonal communication skills, excellent written & oral communication skills, leadership skills.
· Bilingual French / English., Spanish, Arab or Portuguese an asset
Terms of employment
· Field-based position (various missions) with visits to HQ in Geneva.
· Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF OCG volunteer handbook.
· Social Benefits: Health insurance and living costs in the countries of intervention and at HQ, paid according to internal regulations.
· Contract : fixed-term contract of 12 months, full-time (100%). Renewable.
· Ideal starting date: 1st July 2016
· Gross monthly salary : CHF 5'500.-
How to apply
Interested candidates should forward their complete application (incl. cover letter and CV, scanned copies of diplomas and work certificate) to email@example.com, stating “**Flying ACMA 2016.04**” in the subject line.
- Organization: MSF - Canada
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2016-05-15