ABA ROLI Research and Knowledge Management Internship
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is currently seeking an undergraduate or graduate student for a full-time internship position based in Washington, DC for summer 2016. The intern will work with program and research staff across the organization and gain an understanding of the workings of an international non-governmental organization, as well as international development programs and international rule of law issues.
As part of the ABA ROLI team, this intern will support the substantive knowledge management efforts of ABA ROLI’s new internal Practice Groups, which include: Access to Justice; Anti-Corruption; Commercial Law Reform; Criminal Justice; Gender; Governance; Health and Environment; Human Rights; Judicial System Strengthening; Legal Education; Legal Practice; and Trafficking in Persons. Specifically, it is expected that the intern will work closely with and support the Washington, DC and field-based chairs of at least three of these Practice Groups, which function as an integral component of ROLI’s 2016 Strategic Plan.
Although this is an unpaid position, interns at ABA ROLI are eligible for a wide variety of perks and learning opportunities including:
- Transportation reimbursement up to $15.00/day
- Field trips to D.C. legal destinations such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Supreme Court, and Library of Congress
- Brown-bag lunches with ABA ROLI staff and guest speakers
Exact responsibilities will vary based on each Practice Group’s needs. Typical responsibilities could include, but are not limited to:
- Researching and collecting internal and external substantive materials relevant to Practice Groups, and importing them to ABA ROLI’s internal Google Drive;
- Assisting with the development of strategies to maximize the use of ABA ROLI’s internal Google Platform in Practice Groups’ communications;
- Writing articles and other content for Practice Groups’ Google+ community pages;
- Contributing to the development of outreach and communication products for Practice Groups (e.g., drafting Practice Group flyers, capacity statements, etc.);
- Researching external events relevant to Practice Groups and compiling events calendars for distribution to Practice Groups’ members;
- Conducting necessary research projects for chairs of Practice Groups as needed;
- Assisting with development of new program ideas for Practice Groups.
- Current/recent graduate student or rising 2L student with background in international development, international relations, public policy, political science, or related discipline; in exceptional cases, upper-level undergraduate students with relevant skills may be considered;
- Strong commitment to international development and/or public interest law, as evidenced by relevant coursework and experience;
- Excellent research, writing, analytical, and communication skills;
- Proficiency with MS Office;
- Proficiency in Google for Work or Google for Education applications (drive, docs, sheets, sites, calendar, etc.);
- International development experience highly desirable but not required;
- Experience writing articles, web or social media content a plus;
- Strong work ethic;
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of foreign languages a plus.
Please include a resume and cover letter in your application that explains why you are interested in the position, as well as your availability during the summer semester.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date. This is an unpaid internship position.https://www.devex.com/jobs/aba-roli-knowledge-management-internship-research-division-433053
- Organization: ABA - American Bar Association
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Education, Learning and Training
- Operations and Administrations
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: 2016-07-12