Ukraine NGO Forum Director – Kyiv, Ukraine
Ukraine NGO Forum Director – Kyiv, Ukraine
The Ukraine NGO Forum is looking for a highly qualified and capable Director for nationwide network strategy and programme support, based in Kyiv, with travel throughout Ukraine, including, eventually to non-government controlled areas.
Who are we?
The Ukraine NGO Forum was established in mid-2014 to facilitate information sharing and coordination activities in order to positively increase the impact of humanitarian activities in Ukraine. The Ukraine NGO Forum welcomes participation from international and national NGO's providing humanitarian assistance in Ukraine. The Forum works closely with Ukrainian and international NGOs, as well non-traditional humanitarian actors, including agencies, departments and offices of United Nations and Ukrainian government. The Forum is committed to working with existing coordination mechanisms in Ukraine.
The humanitarian community operating in Ukraine is a diverse collection of actors. The Ukraine NGO Forum acknowledges this richness and is actively encouraging the development of cooperative and collaborative platforms for capacity development and training, information exchange, and cooperation. The Ukraine NGO Forum recognizes the likely long-term nature of this crisis and is keen to see an integration of emergency and stabilization activities where appropriate, as well as a greater role for national organisations and civil society groups.
The Forum has an important role to play in minimising gaps and duplication in humanitarian activities, including support and management functions performed. The successful candidate will contribute to ensuring appropriate, accountable, and effective humanitarian action in Ukraine by harmonizing NGO collective opinions, by addressing issues not considered by UN-led mechanisms, and by providing consistent and constructive advocacy from within the NGO community.
Donors include ECHO, OFDA, and the Government of Canada.
For administrative purposes, the Ukraine NGO Forum Director will be hired under a DRC/DDG international contract, with all applicable terms and conditions of employment with DRC.
About the role
The Director of the Ukraine NGO Forum is based in Kyiv and is expected to provide general support to the management and implementation of activities of the Forum, and to the members at large.
The Director will work under the general guidance of the Forum Steering Committee specifically, towards the objectives of the NGO Forum as described above and as defined in detail by the strategies approved by the Steering Committee and ratified by the plenary group of members in good standing.
Except for any supervisory and management responsibilities, the Ukraine NGO Forum Director will share, allocate, and coordinate these duties with, inter alia, the NGO Forum Coordinator and the NGO Forum Programme and Information Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Creates an environment conducive to trust-building and sharing of sensitive information between Ukraine NGO Forum members. This would include – but will not be limited to – defining eligibility criteria for joining the Forum and ensuring they are strictly adhered to.
- Reviews the ToRs for both the NGO Forum and the Steering Committee (SC) for approval by the wider-NGO Forum regular members and the Interim Steering Committee; ensures that a permanent SC is elected transparently and inclusively by all permanent NGO Forum members.
- Facilitates transparent coordination between the NGO Forum members including regular sharing of information between members, and to external stakeholders.
- Represents and advocates to external stakeholders in close collaboration with the NGO community, and along with the NGO Steering Committee; represents the NGO Forum at high-level meetings.
- Provides information, briefings, presentations on the function and structure of the humanitarian NGO community in Ukraine.
- Develops the NGO Forum’s work plan, strategy and budget;
- Ensures collection of membership fees and manages the overall budget of the Forum Secretariat;
- Develops productive relationships with key individuals in relevant government as required in close collaboration with the NGO Forum Steering Committee, including ministries, civil society, counterpart institutions, the foreign and national NGO community, UN agencies and offices, Government of Ukraine, de-facto NGCA authorities, diplomatic missions, and donors.
- Schedules NGO Forum meetings and NGO Forum Steering Committee meetings, drafts agendas, invite external speakers and follow up on relevant action points including the distribution of meeting minutes.
- Encourages non-NGO Forum Ukrainian NGOs providing humanitarian aid who meet the selection criteria to participate in the NGO Forum and share information of their activities and observed humanitarian needs.
- Establishes mechanisms to provide regular security updates to the NGO Forum including the establishment of relationships with security-oriented organizations, such as INSO.
- Represents NGOs at HCT, Inter-Sector Coordination Group, and ad hoc coordination groups, meetings and initiatives as mandated by the NGO Forum and/or alongside other NGO representatives.
- Liaises with NGO coordination platforms in neighbouring countries in the region.
- Provides leadership and direction and promotes professional working relationships of NGO Forum programme staff members. Conducts regular performance appraisals identifying capacity building needs and further career objectives for NGO Forum personnel.
- Seeks additional funding and contributions for NGO Forum , activities, and services, including the formalization of the Forum through registration, and supports general fundraising efforts of the NGO community at large as and when required
- Oversees Information management and dissemination, including analysis, development and compilation.
- Ensures solid understanding of the needs, challenges and priorities of the NGO community through the design, development, and implementation of programming in line with NGO Forum priorities. Oversees that the programme is delivered on time and on budget, is monitored and evaluated and achieved scheduled results and deliverables.
- Supports the development of in-country expertise and support a national NGO capacity building agenda in close cooperation with the NGO National Coordinator.
- Manages the NGO Forum staff and the support services that are provided through this structure, including day-to-day management of personnel and resources, to meet the needs and priorities of the NGO community.
- Other tasks in line with the strategy approved by NGO Forum Steering Committee and ratified by the Forum members in good standing.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- At least eight years of international experience in the sphere of humanitarian assistance, early recovery, or development, of which at least four years were at programs management level with significant experience in high-level representation and experience in advocacy at all levels;
- At least two years' experience working on strategic level issues;
- Significant experience coordinating humanitarian activities within a UN-led cluster system;
- Experience with HCTs and other coordination mechanisms;
- Experience working with LNGOs and implementing partners;
- Experience working in conflict environment; and
Fluency in English.
Strongly preferred qualifications:
- Previous NGO Forum-like experience
- Russian/Ukrainian language skills
- Previous work experience in the former Soviet Union
Pending funding, DRC will offer the successful applicant a 12-month contract, renewable dependent on funding and performance.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with DRC Ukraine’s terms of employment for international staff. This position is classified at level A13 as per the new DRC International Department terms and conditions of employment (previously A10).
Interested? Go to www.drc.dk and find Current Vacancies. Find the job on the list and apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions, or encounter problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close date: Thursday, 9 June 2016.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact the DRC/DDG Ukraine Country Director, Krista Zongolowicz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to DRC staff will not be considered.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than twenty five countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
The protection and assistance to conflict affected population is provided within a long-term, regional and rights-based approach in order to constitute a coherent and effective response to the challenges posed by today’s conflicts. Assistance consists of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation, support to return and repatriation as well as promotion of long-term solutions to displacement and its causes. In addition, support and capacity building of local and national authorities and NGOs form an integral part of DRC’s work.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Kyiv (Ukraine)
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-06-09