Senior Business Development Specialist
Bethesda | Washington D.C.
The Senior Business Development Specialist plays a key role in all aspects of new business planning and pursuit through the following key functions: (1) supporting the identification and capture process for upcoming opportunities; (2) playing a coordination and management role in proposal development; and (3) supporting the development and streamlining of business development functions and processes company-wide.
URC’s Business Development (BD) team, in close collaboration with our technical units, is responsible for: Identifying, tracking and building capacity to plan for and successfully respond to competitive opportunities; guiding and effectively participating in the development and production of high-quality winning proposals, and developing, implementing, and continuously improving capture and proposal best practices, systems, and tools.
The BD team supports all aspects of pipeline development, capture planning, and proposal preparation. For capture planning, the team collaborates closely with technical divisions to identify and actively monitor upcoming opportunities and strategize teaming arrangements, staffing, and approaches. The team plays a key role in in intelligence gathering and positioning strategies that strengthen URC’s stature, credibility and likelihood of winning new business. BD’s role in proposal development, led by the Proposal Director, includes proposal writing (including, but not limited to, executive summaries, corporate capability statements, personnel, management, and annexes); facilitating the development of compliant, well-written, and compelling technical volumes; coordination with cost volumes; and the preparation of high-quality annexes, graphics, and overall proposal presentation, in line with corporate branding.
Note: The contract and grant application process requires that proposals be developed and reviewed under deadline. Therefore, candidates must be flexible, and willing and able to work overtime occasionally and, at times, on a regular basis to communicate with national or international partners based in different time zones, and be able to meet firm deadline requirements established by private foundations or government agencies.
- Provide BD expertise in positioning, capture planning, and proposal preparation for specific opportunities.
- Participate in capture planning, including serving on capture teams with travel to the field; developing and maintaining comprehensive capture plans; and supporting the go/no go decision-making process.
- Manage and coordinate proposal teams throughout the proposal process—from start to finish—in a fast-paced, production-oriented environment. This includes: develop compliance matrices, prepare proposal outlines, establish timelines and milestones, and track progress. Proactively resolve any problems/issues that arise, including, in conferral with tech lead and BD senior management, assuring mobilization of all resources needed throughout the proposal cycle.
- Write, edit, and proofread proposals sections and supporting annexes, including situational analysis, background, corporate capability, staffing, management, past performance, and others.
- Facilitate, coordinate and ensure ongoing and effective communication among URC technical staff, BD, pricing, HR, and external partners throughout the capture and proposal development process. Manage teaming agreements. Communicate regular updates, identify potential issues and/or delays, and troubleshoot solutions with the technical team lead, Business Development Director, Vice President and/or other senior management.
- Work with all levels of technical staff at headquarters and in the field to: maintain a robust and continuously updated pipeline of opportunities; write, update, and organize corporate capability statements; and manage information in support of proposals, such as corporate accolades, etc.
- Network with clients and collaborating organizations. Proactively and routinely tap into intelligence through professional networks and portals to identify and develop partnerships between URC and other organizations (US-based, international, and host-country contacts) and collect business intelligence.
- Coach and train Business Development Assistants and Interns in effective marketing and business development strategies, processes, and tools.
- Contribute to, disseminate, and model the use of standardized business development processes, tools, templates and information.
- Advanced degree in business, marketing, international development, or other related field. Public health background and experience a plus, since URC proposals are predominately health related
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in business development, capture planning and implementation, and proposal development, preferably in the field of international development
- Excellent research and business-intelligence gathering and organizational skills
- Solid writing skills, including previous experience writing proposals in response to solicitation from USG (USAID, MCC, CDC) and other donors. (Writing samples may be requested)
- International "hands-on" work experience in developing countries preferred
- High level of detail orientation
- Demonstrated ability to consistently and successfully follow through on commitments and produce high-quality deliverables in a fast-paced and sometimes high-pressure environment. Able to maintain diplomacy working under pressure is critical
- Strong computer skills in all Microsoft applications, particularly Word and Excel
- Ability to maintain professionalism and uphold strict confidentiality of URC’s business development tools, intelligence, and documentation.
- Ability and willingness to travel (up to 25% time) for one to two weeks at a time, to developing countries
- Fluency in English is a must. Additional language qualifications are desired, but not required
Clink on the link below:
- Organization: URC - University Research Company
- Location: Bethesda | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2016-06-20