Project Officer (WASH)
Cox's Bazaar | Dhaka (Bangladesh)
Position Title : Project Officer (WASH) Duty Station : Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 06 June 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
IOM Bangladesh is providing humanitarian assistance and facilitating access to basic services, particularly Health and Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services to the Undocumented Myanmar Nationals (UMNs) currently residing in the countrys Coxs Bazar district (bordering Myanmar), numbering anywhere from 200,000 to 500,000 individuals. To ensure that this extremely vulnerable populations basic needs are met, IOM is providing primarily healthcare, water and sanitation assistance in the district, directed at both host community and the UMNs. IOM is also assisting the local administration in s Bazar in the coordination of the humanitarian assistance to the UMN and host community case load particularly through managing international nongovernmental organization (INGO) service delivery (Health and WASH), supporting overall coordination of activities to identify need, track service delivery across all sectors, and analyze gaps, and ensure that all stakeholders are adequately briefed on all developments and have access to transparent information on service delivery and project plans. With the financial assistance from European Commission Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO) and Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA), IOM is in the process of implementing a project that would supplement IOMs overall programme in Coxs Bazar while reaching out to about 300,000 people in Teknaf sub district with the provision of Water Sanitation and Hygiene (both infrastructure & outreach).
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Manager (Sr.PM) and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office (HoSO) in Coxs Bazar, Bangladesh, the successful candidate shall be responsible for supporting the smooth and timely implementation of WASH
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide support and assistance for the timely stup of the various phases or components of the project/programme in close coordination with the Head of Sub Office.
Monitor the teams adherence to Standard Operating Procedures for WASH activities; provide guidance with respect to compliance, and drafting implementation plans accordingly.
Monitor specific aspects of project implementation, identify problems and propose action to expedite the delivery of inputs. Analyze the project progress and inform the management in making critical decisions.
Undertake regular field visits to project sites to monitor progress of activities and the quality of work, and provide regular feedback to the service providers/vendors as required.
Coordinate advanced planning of WASH infrastructure based on identified needs and technical advice to the mission, including Partner NGOs on WASH intervention, and ensure high quality deliverables.
Conduct periodic WASH programme reviews, analyze impact and propose necessary revision of activities and implementation modality if needed/as appropriate.
Conduct periodical review of project progress and expenditure pattern and make necessary recommendations.
Provide technical inputs on WASH proposal development and develop qualitative and quantitative indicators.
Interpret data, specifically regarding water quality (pollutants, arsenic, salinity, etc.) and water table monitoring as appropriate to humanitarian emergency context.
Provide technical, thematic and monitoring inputs to partners and contribute in their capacity building for effective implementation of the project.
Maintain effective and regular liaison with the project/programme partners, such as DHPE, district administration and any other concerned agencies and working groups to achieve programme objectives.
Support the management in identifying new programme/ project opportunities consistent with IOMs mandate in Bangladesh with a strong focus in adopting ECHOs and SIDAs humanitarian assistance strategies; on this basis, support in the development of proposals.
Draft periodic reports for the donors on programme delivery, including interim and final reports to donor on budgetary expenditure and results, including from implementing partners.
Ensure that project technical records are prepared and maintain as per IOM and
Government of Bangladesh guidelines.
- Review and finalize WASH infrastructure technical design, cost estimation and Bill of
Quantity (BoQ); facilitate the tendering process to identify vendor to out the task.
Support the National Programme Officer in identifying and recommending implementing partners and service providers/ vendors, and coordinate with Resource Management Unit for necessary financial and contractual issues.
Guide, monitor and supervise the WASH unit. In this regards, identify key gaps and undertake staff development initiatives for increasing the capacity of the team.
Monitor the capacity development of team and partner NGOs in coordination with the
National Programme Officer (NPO).
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in Engineering, Social Sciences, Environmental Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in development, implementation, analysis and evaluation of Health and Wash programmes and protocols. Specific experience in managing ECHO/ EU – funded project;
• Experience in implementing, designing or coordinating WASH in remote locations;
• Familiarity with based sanitation programs, and with a diversity of latrine designs for rural communities;
• Experience of working in WASH sector in the South Asia region and exposure to refugee settlements/camp and or displaced situation will be added value;
• Ability to effectively coordinate with government, NGO and local stakeholders essential; an understanding of sector coordination mechanisms is an asset;
• Good communication skills. Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for Results, respect for diversity and creative thinking. Ability to lead, coach and work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds are a requirement.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Bangla is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 06 June 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 24.05.2016 to 06.06.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/113 (P) - Project Officer (WASH) (P2) - Coxs Bazar, Bangladesh (54807632) Released
Posting: Posting NC54807637 (54807637) Released
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Cox's Bazaar | Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Project and Programme Management
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2016-06-06