Country Director, Sierra Leone
Freetown (Sierra Leone)
The Country Director provides leadership, oversight, and strategic guidance for the Sierra Leone staff and program to achieve the organization's vision, mission and objectives. He/she functions as a primary organizational representative for the Sierra Leone country office and ensures strong collaboration with government, local, and international funders and partners. The Director is responsible for developing new program initiatives, new partnerships and maintaining existing partnerships, and actively leading key phases of ongoing programs. The Director is also responsible for technical leadership on policy and advocacy initiatives, and advocates for policies and programs that maximize impact and resources to further women's reproductive health.
In addition, the Country Director may represent the organization when advocating for the organization's mission and programs at regional events, donors meetings and partner NGO gatherings.
Strategy Development and Implementation • Provides leadership and vision in development and implementation of country programs in line with the overall organizational strategic plan. • Provides leadership in organizational values and mission at the country level, and lead, direct and mentor the country program and staff in line with the organizational strategy. • In coordination with in-country and HQ staff, provide technical leadership for policy activities. • Builds and nurtures relationships with government officials to advance organizational mission. • Responsible for new program development and ensures the implementation and delivery of the country portfolio of projects by leading the in-country team(s), working with the organization's programs, technical, operations unit colleagues, and other parties as needed.
• Identifies and evaluates risk to the organization's staff, property, finances, goodwill and image, and works with the appropriate colleagues in the operations and programs units to implement measures to manage and reduce risk. • Has full responsibility of decisions at country level in line with the organization's approved policies.
Management, Oversight and Program Development • Accountable for the Sierra Leone country office's alignment to organization's standards for work environment, workplace culture, ethics, safety, and overall employee morale. • Responsible for managing the country budget.
Fundraising • Provides leadership in organizational fund raising efforts through identification and pursuit of funding opportunities in line with organizational Vision, Mission and Strategic Objectives. • Represents the organization with donors at the regional and/or country level, and oversees and coordinates the in-country resource mobilization strategy. • Participates in head office fund raising efforts on behalf of the country office.
Relationships and External Networks • Builds partnerships with government and other private and social sector organizations, both at national and regional level, and advocates for policies and programs that maximize impact and resources to further women's reproductive health and the organization's mission. • Represents the organization and advocates for women's reproductive health and rights at national, regional and international conferences and events. • Liase with the media, public, local government and other NGOs to build awareness of the organization and promote communication of issues and accomplishments to the public.
• Minimum of 10 years with project/portfolio/country management experience and previous experience as a Country Manager or Director or equivalent role in scope and responsibility for an international NGO. • Familiar with and committed to women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights. • Familiar with government health system, policy, strategy, and guidelines related to reproductive health. • Ability to build positive working relationships with district/state/national government officials, multilateral bodies, and donor representatives. • Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices in project management, process development and program execution. • Demonstrated experience in fundraising and maintaining relationships with donors. • Demonstrated experience in successfully overseeing sector specific or multi-sector project management and implementation. • Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience. • Established experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope. • Proven public relations, fundraising, policy, representation, and diplomacy skills required. • Excellent oral and written communication skills. • Strong consultative and negotiation skills. • Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others. • Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English and fluent in host country language(s). • Local nationals preferred. • International compensation package not available.
Education • Post graduate degree in Public Health or a related and relevant field. • Certification in project management preferred. • Qualification in Humanitarian action and/or Project Cycle Management and/or Monitoring & Evaluation preferred. • Ability to travel up to 30% locally and periodic international trips.
Applications for this position must be completed on the recruiting organization's website at https://jobs-ipas.icims.com/jobs/1525/country-director%2c-sierra-leone/job.
- Organization: Ipas
- Location: Freetown (Sierra Leone)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2016-06-30