IRC3363 JUNIOR PROFESSIONAL OFFICER (CLIMATE CHANGE AND RISK MANAGEMENT)
Port-of-Spain | Trinidad and Tobago
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The position is located in FAO Representation in Trinidad & Tobago, which reports to the Subregional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean.
FAO's Subregional Office for the Caribbean (SLC) is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). It assists the FAO Representations (FAORs) in the subregion with addressing subregional food security, agriculture and rural development issues at country level.
The Junior Professional Officer reports to the FAO Representative for Trinidad and Tobago and Suriname and works under the technical guidance and supervision of Forestry Officer at the Subregional Office for the Caribbean.
Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, Risk Management, Sustainable Food and Agriculture, Natural Resources Management – in particular, promoting cross-sectoral, integrated and multistakeholder approaches to land, water, fisheries, forestry, agriculture and the conservation of biodiversity.
Analytical and database/web services to support programme projects, products and services.
· Analyzes relevant technical social, economic, environmental, and technology information, data and/or statistics for input in various documents
· Maintains records and updates databases and web pages
· Provides technical support to various projects
· Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.
· Participates in the organization and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners
· Assists in the identification and formulation of programmes and projects in the field of Climate Change and Risk Management and in the provision of technical advisory support to member countries as well as helps in the implementation of FAO’s Programme in building resilience within existing frameworks, including the FAO’s Common vision for sustainable food and agriculture.
· Assists in providing advice to national technicians, extension officers, farmers, and member countries on the appropriate Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation strategies and Risk Management Strategies particularly for small farmers in the Caribbean;
· Participates in sector studies on Climate Change and Risk Management with a view to analyse need and opportunities; identifies national priorities for investment and proposes necessary actions for sustainable development of productive sectors, including most appropriate policies, technologies and management practises;
· Participates in the development and promotion of knowledge networks (including networks of education and training centres) for knowledge exchange and dissemination and fostering partnership with international and regional organizations having their headquarters in the sub-region; support inter-departmental working groups
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
· Advanced university degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resources Management, Agriculture or any other field related to the work of the Organization
· One year of relevant experience in climate change adaptation and mitigation, natural resources management, disaster risk management and sustainable development
· Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
· Results Focus
· Building Effective Relationships
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
· Working knowledge of English and Spanish is an asset
· Extent and relevance of experience in climate change adaptation and risk management, with relevance to sustainable food and agriculture
· Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
· Candidates should be 32 years of age or younger as of 31 December of the year of application.
· All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
· Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
· Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “*How to Apply*”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
· Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
· Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
· Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Port-of-Spain | Trinidad and Tobago
- Grade: Junior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Climate Change
- Closing Date: 2016-06-08