Information Technology (IT) Specialist, Global Health Security (GHS) Project, Mekong Program, 7400
Please submit a cover letter with your resume in one document describing your interest in this position and how you meet the requirements. Application materials must be submitted in English and applicants must have legal authorization to work in Vietnam to be considered and confirm this in their cover letter. PATH offers a highly dynamic work environment and provides competitive compensation and benefits based on experience. Salary and benefit package are paid in VND.
NOTE: You are required to be a citizen of Vietnam to apply for this position. We will not respond to your application if you do not meet this requirement.
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations—that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health. Working in Vietnam since the early 1980s, PATH established a permanent office in Hanoi in 1997 and an office in Ho Chi Minh City in 2014.
In a new partnership aimed at ensuring and securing health for all, PATH recently joined the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other organizations to help advance the US government’s pledge to support, assist, and empower poor countries in anticipating, preventing, and overcoming infectious disease outbreaks. PATH’s Global Health Security (GHS) partnership, a 5-year effort funded by the CDC, will strengthen public health systems in Vietnam, Senegal, and Tanzania, building capacity to prevent, detect, and respond to emergencies of public health importance.
PATH seeks an Information Technology (IT) Specialist in Vietnam to provide expertise in the Health Information Systems (HIS) Strengthening Component of the GHS project. The IT Specialist will work closely with the PATH HIS Program Officer for Health Systems Strengthening as well as national and regional stakeholders to support the implementation of the data warehouse and visualization activities in the project.
The IT Specialist will provide technical expertise on implementing and maintaining the project’s data warehouse at the General Department of Preventive Medicine (GDPM), visualization platform, and other disease surveillance systems as needed. The specialist will provide technical IT expertise to the project’s strategy on and implementation of the data warehouse for national and regional Emergency Operation Centers (EOCs). This could include helping define business and information requirements, assessing existing data sources, resolving high-level business and information issues, building capacity at the MOH to develop data warehouse solutions, providing continuity in all major data warehousing solution decisions, and determining how technology can be applied to meet GHS needs. Training in DHIS2 and other software specific systems to be used by the GHS project will be provided.
DHIS2 helps governments and health organizations manage their operations more effectively, monitor processes, and improve communication. The system can be used for data management and analysis, monitoring and evaluation, registration and mapping, and management and tracking. DHIS2 can capture data on any type of device and provides a wide range of solutions based on HTML5, SMS, and Java.
Technical assistance areas include:
· Providing information systems support including server configuration, maintenance, and support working directly with the PATH team, GDPM, and regional institutes.
· Assisting with the ongoing development and maintenance of the data warehouse for EOCs as needed.
· Supporting information and data source gathering and integration into the data warehouse maintained in DHIS2.
· Supporting information exchange interoperability between the various data sources and disparate health information systems to be integrated into a single national data warehouse.
· Working with the PATH Project Director and HIS Project Officer to harmonize and integrate event-based and indicator-based surveillance systems that include sub-system, laboratory, aggregated data, media, and commune-level information into the data warehouse.
· Managing workloads, planning projects and tasks, and conducting internal meetings with other team members.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Assisting PATH project leadership, GDPM and regional institutes with the full development of a national and regional data warehouse and visualization implementation hardware/infrastructure.
· Supporting the overall DHIS2 hardware and infrastructure set up for effective data use and access.
· Reviewing and drafting IT standards and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for IT systems, including configuration, data uploading, and data storage and extraction.
· Assisting in identifying strategies to popularize the use and utility of the data warehouse and visualization platform.
· Other tasks as required by Project Director.
· Creative approaches with a problem-solving mindset.
· Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and effectively in a team.
· Strong listening and speaking skills, and advanced English technical reading and writing ability.
· Available to travel within Vietnam up to 25 percent annually.
· Demonstrated experience implementing and maintaining IT / software systems, preferably web-based and used by multiple stakeholders.
· Minimum of 3 years of experience in IT domains.
· A university degree in computer science, IT or other related disciplines such as engineering.
· Extensive knowledge of IT principles, methods, and techniques.
· Knowledge of various health components in Vietnam preferred.
· Comfortable leading cross-functional meetings to gather requirements, analyze them on the spot, and propose solutions.
· Some experience in maintaining servers and training staff on using systems.
· Mobile development experience using Java for Android (have published at least one original Android app).
· Experience working in an agile/scrum development process.
· Experience with JSON based REST APIS.
· Experience with developing on NoSQL and SQL databases, and working with outside data sources and API’s.
· Experience with integrating various data sources and ETL (extract, transform, load) of data warehouse.
· Experience in software architecture and patterns.
· Experience in multi browser development support and building user interfaces that follow the latest accessibility standards.
· Experience in UX/UI design in developing Web application for cross-browser (wire frame, prototyping, mock-up designs experience) is a plus.
Please apply directly through the PATH website at: http://bit.ly/1sM8TzG