Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Manager
Mbale | Kampala
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Manager
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Manager (MERL) for an anticipated USAID-funded integrated health services project in Eastern Uganda. The project will work to increase utilization of HIV / AIDS, MNCH, nutrition and TB services.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Lead the design and implementation of the project’s monitoring and evaluation activities, including: development of the project’s Performance Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL).
- Plan development and monitoring of project indicators; implementation of baseline, midterm and end line studies; oversight of data collection and analysis; synthesis of data and study outcome reports; quality assurance and auditing of data
- Lead the design and implementation of the project’s research activities, including operations research, performance evaluations, impact evaluations and/or rapid/special studies. Lead efforts to identify key research questions and develop studies that test innovative strategies for addressing improving the quality and uptake of key services by targeted populations
- Lead a robust learning agenda, designing and implementing mechanisms for continuous learning, collaboration, and adaptation for project staff, partners, donors, host country government counterparts and other stakeholders
- Oversee the dissemination of information on successful and promising approaches, lessons learned and other program results to local, national and regional-level intergovernmental bodies, donors, partners and other stakeholders. Promote forums which facilitate collaboration, learning and action as a result of this information among these actors
- Ensure that data from the project is fed into national health management information systems and promote its use among stakeholders for learning and policy development and programming
- Build capacity of staff, implementing partners, government counterparts, and other stakeholders in program monitoring and evaluation, data collection and management, and research and learning methods
- Ensure research implementation adheres to FHI 360 and international policies and standards and remains technically and ethically sound. Usher research protocols through FHI 360 Internal Review Board and national external review processes
- Monitor and maintain relevant protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training materials and reports
- Oversee a team of MERL staff for the project and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained amongst the team members
- Contribute to work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and other reports and papers summarizing project results and evidence.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent - Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- 5-8 Years of relevant experience in management of large projects and/or programs.
- Has ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language.
- Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360 - Family Health International
- Location: Mbale | Kampala
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Operations and Administrations
- Scientist and Researcher
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2016-07-31