FINANCIAL CONTROLLER - GOAL YEMEN (AMMAN,JORDAN BASED)
Amman | Sanaa (Jordan)
Job Title: Financial Controller**
Location: Amman, Jordan (with potential travel to Yemen) **Contract Duration: 12 Months
Reports to: Country Director
Description of the Country Programme
GOAL began operations in Yemen in early 2016. GOAL/Yemen’s senior staff are based in Amman, Jordan with a few key staff members inside Yemen. The country program is primarily implemented through a well-established local with the GOAL team providing oversight and technical support. When the security situation allows, GOAL plans to implement direct and establish a base of operations within country. GOAL and its partners are completing an NFI program and scaling up a voucher program for food commodities. GOAL is developing a multi donor programme which incorporates health care, livelihoods and emergency support components.
General Description of the Role:
The Financial Controller is responsible for the financial management, internal control systems, management of funds, and reporting requirements of the organization. In particular the successful candidate will ensure timely submission of required donors reports, monthly management accounts to GOAL Dublin, statutory reports and other ad hoc reporting to relevant authorities, as well as budget preparation and monitoring of the programme. As a key member of the senior management team, the Financial Controller will contribute to the overall development and running of the country programme.
Duties of the role:
- Report directly to Country Director in country and closely working with Chief Financial Officer in Dublin and other SMT members in country
- To manage/supervise and work closely with local financial, administrative and partner staff
- Closely working with, managing and building the capacity of local partners on financial matters, systems and donor compliance.
- Developing protocols for the distribution and redemption processes of printed and electronic vouchers in partnership with GOAL’s partner. Ensuring protocols are followed.
- Reviewing MOUs and contracts for suppliers and vendors engaged with the voucher program to ensure adequate tracking measures are in place.
- Prepare monthly management accounts for approval by Country Director for submission to Dublin adhering to a strict deadline from the SAGE Finance System.
- Ensure proper financial systems, in Amman, Jordan head office and in Yemen field offices (both GOAL’s and its partners) are in place and implemented to accurately record expenditure
- Liaise with legal advisers in both Jordan and Yemen and local accountants relating to GOAL Yemen’s reporting and tax payments
- Ensure compliance with GOALs standard accounting procedures and policies across the Yemen programme and actively monitor internal controls to minimize risk to the organization. In particular ensure appropriate cash management procedures are in place and operating effectively
- Ensure preparation and retention of documentation to facilitate the annual external audit, donor audits, internal audits and revenue audits
- Oversee all cash management, including cash counts and cash transfers to field sites and partners in cooperation with the Programmes & Logistics team ensure that GOAL Yemen is in compliance with all relevant donor and internal guidelines
- Ensure cost allocations basis among donors are reasonable in line with GOAL recommended methods
- Review monthly management accounts including donor status reporting for submission to GOAL Head Office, Dublin, adhering to strict deadlines
- Review financial reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies, adhering to strict deadlines, coordinating with local legal and accounting advisors as appropriate
- Review the financial sections of donor proposals, budgets and reports
- Review GOAL annual and quarterly rolling budgets
- Monitor and assist program managers with the financial management of programme budgets including expenditure forecasting, and ensuring the Budget Monitoring Tool (BMT) is completed in a timely manner
- Maintain and keep updated Yemen Finance Manual with any approved exceptions to the standard GOAL worldwide Finance Manual, including a summarized and simplified finance and logistics manual for use by project managers and other field based staff
- Oversee training and capacity building of locally recruited finance and partners staff
- Provide support to human resources on personnel and staff issues which have financial implications.
- Responsibility for ensuring local compliance with the employee tax deductions, that all relevant statutory deductions are made from the employees’ salaries and paid out to the appropriate authorities, coordinating with local legal, accounting and human resource advisors as appropriate.
- Provide support on human resources a member of the country’s senior management team.
- Any other duties as required.
- Qualified accountant. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent.
- At least five years’ experience, with at least one of these overseas.
- At least two years at a senior management level.
- Strong ability to work in highly pressured environment, with high levels of deliverables required on a continuous basis.
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors such as DFID, USAID, OFDA, ECHO, EC, UN grants and embassies funds. Familiarity with USAID rules and regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Strong IT skills and systems experience; Excel advanced with Sage experience desirable.
- Strong experience liaising with governmental/local authorities and other NGO’s.
GOAL has a Standards of Integrity and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Amman | Sanaa (Jordan)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Office Management, Administration and Finance
- Finance and Banking
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2016-07-31
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position