Education Technical Advisor
Minneapolis | Washington D.C.
POSITION TITLE: Education Technical Advisor (contingent upon funding)
HQ DEPARTMENT: International Programs
RESPONSIBLE TO: Matrix reporting to ARC Pakistan Country Representative/Chief of Party and HQ Director of Program Development and Quality
STATUS: Full Time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: Consultants, interns and volunteers
DATE: June 2016
*APPLICANTS MUST ALREADY BE ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES.
DEPARTMENT/COUNTRY PROGRAM DESCRIPTION/MISSION
The International Programs department is committed to helping communities that have been uprooted by conflict or natural disasters to take control of their futures and rebuild and maintain healthy, prosperous lives. ARC takes an integrated approach that emerges from within communities themselves, promoting leadership, participation, and partnership at the local level. ARC conducts programs in Health,Protection, Education, Livelihoods, Water/Sanitation, Shelter, Camp Management, Capacity Building and Emergency Response, among others.
The International Programs Department helps to ensure that all ARC programs are meeting minimum standards and supports quality control efforts at the design, implementation, and evaluation stages of all ARC programmatic initiatives.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Education Technical Advisor position provides technical, programmatic leadership and guidance to ARC’s programs and initiatives for Education.Specifically, the Education TA is the key technical focal point for the Educate a Child (EAC) Pakistan project. He/she will lead the technical support of the ARC Pakistan EAC project to provide guidance and support that result in a high-quality project with a measurable impact. Additionally, the Education TA will work to expand Education programming by mainstreaming education throughout all sectors and to look at opportunities to include education activities. The Education TA works closely with all members of ARC’s Technical, Program Development, and Program Management units to provide appropriate and timely technical guidance to multiple country programs including emergency response, new initiatives, new business development, proposal design and development, reviewing reports and developing strategies to mainstream education. This position will be based at Headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with potential for remote placement in Washington, DC.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Pakistan Educate a Child (EAC) Technical Support and Leadership
Provide technical guidance to the Pakistan EAC project that results in the achievement of the following:
Strengthen existing formal and alternative education systems that provide equitable access to primary education.
Strengthen local level/community based systems and build capacity of relevant stakeholders for effective local governance and advocacy for enrollment, retention and continuing education of targeted children in selected provinces of Pakistan.
Build capacity of national, provincial and district level education departments on planning, information management, implementation and monitoring of formal and alternative education programs for 1,050,000 children in targeted provinces of Pakistan.
Technical Support and Leadership
- Participate in and advise on research and evidence building in Education by:
- Integrating appropriate M&E plans, theories of change and results frameworks in the overall educational programming;
- Ensuring that the education M&E activities are up to date and reflect the objectives of the programs and results are used by all for decision-making purposes; and
- Designing and assisting in the implementation of qualitative and quantitative research activities that build the evidence of success and of challenges.
- Lead efforts, in conjunction with all technical teams, to provide guidance and technical support to field programs (both on-site and remote assistance) that will result in development and implementation of high-quality education programs. Provide tools to support integration of ARC’s global approach, focused on local partnerships and community leadership, into all programs.
- Monitor international best practices in education, represent ARC at relevant fora, and serve as a thought leader within and outside of ARC on innovative community-based approaches aimed at increasing education for children from marginalized, under-served communities.
- Develop strong supportive relationships and mentorship systems (as appropriate) and provide regular program and technical advice, information, support, and assistance to international and national staff and programs, including to other HQ-based technical assistance team members.
- Lead and support the development of Education related proposals including developing assessment tools, program design, hiring staff, planning, monitoring, and evaluating field programs.
- Monitor ARC’s relevant field programs through regular telephone/Skype contacts, report reviews, email communications, and other methods to ensure that they adhere to best practices and guidelines.
- Work with other members of the technical assistance teams to define and strengthen the strategic direction of Education programs.
- In collaboration with the field, program development and technical teams, draft global and/or multi-country concept notes and proposals.
- Ensure that ARC field programs have appropriate, relevant, and up-to-date materials, tools, resources, and templates for documenting and monitoring field activities.
- Increase and enhance program monitoring and evaluation, and determining impact, wherever possible, including the use of standard indicators.
Donor Relations/Program Development/Advocacy
- Develop and maintain relationships with key institutional donors and potential partners, including the UN agencies, USAID, State Department, and NGO representatives, specifically focusing on Education issues, among others. Cultivate new potential donors and support field staff in developing their donor outreach capacity.
- Expand ARC’s recognition among donors by finding opportunities to raise awareness of ARC’s work in Education.
- Help respond to donor inquiries, facilitate donor contacts, and provide HQ and the field with timely and relevant donor information related to ARC’sEducation programs.
- Share any donor-related information regarding program development opportunities and recommend areas for ARC interventions.
- Help collect and develop appropriate ARC Education-related program/activity information, advocacy backgrounders, and reports for donors, Congress, and the public.
- Participate and actively lead ARC’s engagement in relevant working groups, advocacy initiatives, task forces, coordination activities, and committees convened by InterAction, the Inter-Agency Standing Committee, UN bodies, US government, coalitions, and others concerningEducation (e.g. country-specific groups and those working to strengthen action related to Education).
- Attend other relevant meetings and conferences, representing ARC’s programs, and giving presentations about ARC’s work.
- Provide program leadership, support and supervision for multi-country projects related to Education, as required by grant obligations.
- Liaise with donors and ensure reporting requirements are met.
- Write periodic reports and/or updates for donors, internal and external use.
- Ensure global sharing of information and lessons learned among ARC’sEducation staff.
- Facilitate communication, coordination and collaboration among and within country programs and between program sectors.
- Lead efforts to arrange and organize ARC global events, such as workshops and conferences.
- Help to mainstream Education into all ARC programs through technical guidance, trainings, and sharing update tools and resources.
- Manage and mentor Education interns, volunteers and consultants as appropriate.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Demonstrated 5 – 7 years professional experience in the design, implementation and management of education programs in an international context.
- Master’s degree in Education, Ph.D. in Education desired.
- Knowledge, skills and experience providing technical assistant and individual mentoring to NGO program teams in education.
- Ability to analyze complex data in Education and to summarize and communicate this in ways that are accessible to a range of audiences and cultures.
- Experience working in a matrix-managed context, managing teams remotely and promoting change across multiple networks.
- Research experience a plus
- Experience managing budgets and finances.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to travel, including Pakistan, up to 33% of the time.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and foster a team environment.
- Training facilitation experience a plus.
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication and coordination skills.
- Excellent project design and proposal development skills and developing tools for cross-organizational sharing of best practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of Urdu, Pashto a plus
- Organization: ARC - American Refugee commitee
- Location: Minneapolis | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2016-06-24