Market Systems Analyst
Ramallah (Palestinian Territory) | Gaza
Market Systems Analyst – Arab Women’s Enterprise Fund (AWEF)
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
Palestine Education for Employment (PEFE), established in 2009, is an affiliate of Education for Employment (EFE Global- US), EFE Europe and six other NGO’s in Egypt, Jordan, Yemen, Tunisia, Morocco, and Saudi Arabia as well as a representative office in Dubai. The PEFE network shares a common vision of empowering unemployed university and technical college graduates with the skills and opportunities they need to build careers that ensure a brighter future for them and satisfy the employment needs of the organizations they are employed in.
Objective of the Programme
The Arab Women’s Enterprise Fund (AWEF) is a £10mn programme which aims to address barriers to women’s economic inclusion in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. AWEF aims to increase economic opportunities and benefits for 150,000 poor women in the region and support women’s economic empowerment through a market development approach. The programme will be implemented over five years (2015-2020) in Palestine, Jordan and Egypt. AWEF is funded by DFID in partnership with the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) who will provide a further £10mn of support to the programme.
Scope of Work
The Market Systems Analyst will be responsible for designing and implementing AWEF’s development of gender-responsive and empowerment focused market systems analyses and implementation tools for market systems facilitation alongside the Market Systems and Intervention Design specialists. The Market Systems Analyst will work directly with beneficiaries and MFIs to deliver the interventions in line with the AWEF logframe, support monitoring and results measurement, and contribute to the Learning Hub.
PEFE is part of AWEF’s implementing consortium in Palestine, as such, PEFE will be the contracting organization for this post.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Accountabilities and deliverables
- Lead on ongoing identification and implementation of interventions
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager to collect data for interventions and synthesise lessons learnt to contribute to the AWEF Learning Hub and overall programme objectives.
- Contribute to quarterly and annual reporting and any other programmer reports required.
Programme Implementation & Reporting
- Conduct Market Systems Analysis in selected market systems that address the critical constraints in the respective value chains and present strategic interventions based on detailed firm and value chain financial analysis and value propositions..
- Design Intervention Plans and Concept Notes at the culmination of each market systems analysis to address the priority constraints.
- Work closely with the Market Systems and Intervention Design specialists in the design and implementation of market interventions and roll out in conjunction with the other appropriate stakeholders.
- Develop a clear intervention justification (as per DAI format) for each intervention before it is approved.
- Ensure that the documentation required by AWEF at each stage of the project cycle is completed in an adequate and timely fashion and properly filed in the AWEF Management Information System (TAMIS).
- Assist in the implementation of programme interventions in selected market systems according to the logical framework, and manage the full investment project cycle activities.
Facilitate the due diligence process for potential grantees as required and close the partnership agreements.
- Work in close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager and the Results Measurement Expert to collect and analyse data, including gender disaggregated data.
- Ensure accurate, robust, and timely inputs to the AWEF Monitoring and Evaluation system, and record the activity in the Management Information System (TAMIS).
- Provide accurate forecasts and budgets for interventions to the Finance and Operations Manager
- Conduct and participate in internal programme workshops and stakeholder workshops.
Build and manage relationships with stakeholders, including local government, beneficiaries, and potential partners in the sector.
- Liaise with AWEF expert team (PEA expert, Gender Advisor, Value Chain Expert, M4P Expert) as required.
- Identify, contract with and oversee the work of consultants, implementing partners and co-facilitators
- Identify where capacity building is required by these partners, design and manage appropriate capacity building initiatives.
- Assist in the development of quarterly and annual programme reports.
Relationship management and reporting
The Market Systems Analyst will report to the Country Director on the responsibilities outlined in role description and general guidance
- Coordinate with other DAI programmes that are being implemented in the region – ensuring effective collaboration and efficiency of operations
- Take responsibility for own continuous professional development by proactively identifying and participating in formal/informal learning opportunities
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director and Team Leader
Qualifications and experience
Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, social science or business administration or related field Master’s degree preferred
Strong academic performance with advanced degree desirable
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working with women in market development interventions and a broad understanding of women’s economic empowerment issues is essential.
- 5 years’ experience in relevant field in Egypt/Palestine/Jordan
- Strong understanding of donor requirements in the implementation of complex donor-funded projects
- Fluency in English and Arabic is essential
- Strong understanding of access to finance development in MENA Region
- Knowledge of financial institution language and culture
Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation processes
Understanding of Islamic Finance principles
Experience in capacity building for intended stakeholders
Knowledge of procurement processes for consultants and service providers
- Strong analytical and drafting skills with an excellent understanding of financial sector language and trends
- Proven and demonstrated strong negotiation skills in the areas of investment management
- A high level of written communication skills; being able to articulate and oversee others work
- Ability to read, analyse and interpret institutional budgets and financial data
- Making judgements and re-prioritising in the light of the strategic context and new strategic imperatives
- Manage complex multiple stakeholder imperatives
- Strong time management, prioritisation and organisational skills
Project Duration: 5 years
Location: Ramallah, Palestine
Project mobilisation:** 01 February 2016
Deadline for application:** 26 June, 2016
Interested applicants should submit their application (Cover letter and updated resume) to Email:
Subject Line Must Be: “Market Systems Analyst "
Note: Applications May Not Be Considered If Above Subject Line Is Missing.