London (with frequent travel) | London
Title: WASH Adviser
Country: GOAL UK
Location: London with frequent travel
Duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Global WASH Adviser
Date: July 2016
General Description of the Programme
GOAL is an international humanitarian organisation founded in 1977. GOAL’s programmes are aimed at assisting the most vulnerable in communities and providing immediate support to those affected by war or natural disaster. GOAL is an organisation with an approximate annual budget of €300 M of which approximately 30 % is expended in health, which is a core sector for GOAL.
GOAL has recently invested significantly in an expanded Health Team, which includes:
Advisory Team – Technical experts divided into health, nutrition and WASH teams that are the established focal points for Country Programmes providing access to a full range of technical advice and support to delivery and a gateway to other services.
Emergency Medical Team – A team of medics, logisticians and response Team Leaders able to mount a rapid primary or secondary medical response in emergencies. The EMT has its own medical stock and logistics supplies and is capable of starting operations and self-sustaining for rapid first phase response
Health Policy and Innovation – A team of health and MEAL experts ensuring coherent health policy, establishing the frameworks for health programming, clarifying the ethics of intervention and actively engaging with sector innovation
GOAL’s health strategy has adopted a systems approach to programming and focuses on strengthening health systems and addressing behaviour change wherever possible and direct provision of services where necessary. GOAL will seek to work with the relevant health authorities whenever appropriate and will actively build partnerships and search for innovative solutions.
The focus is on integrated Health programming with WASH strategically falling under Health with overall aim of improving the resilient well-being of communities.
The position shall work with the WASH Coordinators or WASH focal point of each country programme reporting to the Global WASH Adviser both for technical support and to ensure balance between countries is being achieved.
Overview of the role
General Objectives of the Position
- To support and advise Country Programmes on WASH strategy development and adherence to global strategy, ensuring quality and coherence of programming
- To ensure provision of timely technical guidance, advice and monitoring to support design, planning and delivery of high quality WASH programming
- To support the development, training and dissemination of protocols and methodologies to Country Programmes to ensure continuous improvement, innovation and learning
Provision of technical support:
- To provide technical support and advice to GOAL Country WASH Coordinators in defined countries
- Working with Country WASH Teams finalise country WASH strategies and ensure these strategies are realistic and achievable, updating as appropriate and ensure compliance and implementation
- To strengthen quality of WASH implementation within target countries
- Take on a counterpart and mentoring role with Country WASH Coordinators
- Support delivery of high quality of programme implementation within target countries
- Review and ensure that reports and proposals submitted to donors and HQ are of sufficient technical standard and both align with and contribute to country WASH strategies
- To conduct regular field visits to monitor, review and report on progress of WASH interventions; specifically in relation to quality, relevance, efficiency and effectiveness
- Provide feedback to the field team and the Global WASH Adviser on key recommendations following completion of a technical visit
Participate in the Development and rollout of Standardised Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks
- Ensure that country programmes have functional WASH M&E plans in place
- Develop strong links between the WASH components and other sectors of country programmes in order to promote GOAL’s integrated programme approach.
- To promote lesson learning and adaptation of new approaches across three target countries fostering and documenting innovation.
Organisational, Proposal and Policy Development
- Liaise with donors in target countries to ascertain the trends in funding and identification of non-traditional donors
- Be the focal person in WASH proposal development for defined country programmes
- Keep up to date with best practice and recent developments and disseminate to other members of the country programme teams and technical team members.
- Represent GOAL in external forums as appropriate
- Support GOAL in- country management in maintaining effective collaboration with donors and build relationships with relevant technical focal points within donor organisations
- Participate in relevant discussion groups as required in order to assess future policy developments
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Respond to rapid on-set emergencies as required and directed by Global WASH Adviser, with travel required at short notice
- Ensure emergency preparedness measures are established in target country programmes
- To provide input, as required, on enhancing GOAL’s emergency preparedness status globally
- Work with country programmes to ensure appropriate and updated WASH Emergency Preparedness and Response plans are in place
- To develop systems of WASH emergency preparedness for GOAL, including building necessary links and relationships with suppliers and the logistics department in terms of material/product specifications
Training and Development
- Ensure WASH teams in target countries have a thorough understanding of GOAL’s WASH approach and methodology
- Develop and complete training for country WASH teams as appropriate
Requirements: (educational, language, etc.)
- Degree in engineering or relevant field
- Post-graduate professional qualification with specific focus on water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience, including experience of managing or advising across multiple countries
- Experience involves working on both development and humanitarian, urban and rural WASH programmes
- Experience working in highly insecure environments
- Proven ability to secure funding for WASH programming in multiple countries
- Experience of capacity building
- Understanding and experience of emergency preparedness mechanisms
- Proficient in preparation of proposals and reports and having good writing, communication and computer skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Willingness to travel extensively
Desirable Skills Include:
- Additional languages (Arabic, French)
- Experience working in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands
- Experience or significant knowledge held in the following areas:
- Community Led Total Sanitation and sanitation marketing
- Faecal slude management
- WASH in IDP camp settings
- Programming and systems to ensure sustainable rural water supply
- Designing Behaviour Change (DBC) Frameworks and other behaviour change focused hygiene promotion
General terms and conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
Candidates will be vetted in accordance with the GOAL Child Protection Policy.
Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: London (with frequent travel) | London
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2016-07-17