Head of Operations- Niger
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world.
DRC has been operational in West Africa since 1998. The aim of the program is to contribute to the rehabilitation and resilience building in the Mano River Union Countries (Liberia, Guinea and Côte d’Ivoire) in West Africa. DRC initiated a community-based cross-border approach in 2006, based on displacement patterns stemming from the conflicts in the West Africa region. DRC designed its programming and operational strategy around the displacement axis centered on conflicts in Côte d’Ivoire and Liberia. Following the Malian crisis, DRC opened an emergency program in Mali and Burkina Faso at the end of 2012.
In July 2014, DRC/DDG established a presence in Niger as part of its Border Security and Management programme in the Liptako Gourma region – (border region between Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger) – to reduce armed violence, improve community safety, and enhance border security and management capacity.
The deteriorating security situation in north-eastern Nigeria during 2015 has caused several important population movements into Niger’s Diffa region, including refugees from Nigeria and citizens of Niger who were living in Nigeria and have returned. DRC/DDG conducted a joint mission in the Diffa region (located along the border with Nigeria) from 9-18 November to assess humanitarian and safety needs. This mission recommended a DRC/DDG intervention, which will start in the 1st quarter 2016.This operation is presently funded by ECHO, confirmation on additional funding is expected shortly.
The Head of Operations will ensure that adequate and efficient operational support is provided to the programme teams and at the same time maintain the best level of compliance possible as well as improve planning capacities on all support functions: procurement plans; financial forecasts; recruitments plans etc. She/he will make sure that all the processes are understood and smoothly implemented.
The Head of Operations will be based in Diffa and is expected to move frequently to the various field offices (approximately 40 % of “field time”).
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Head of Operations will ensure the existence and maintenance of an accurate and timely Management Information System. This includes overall planning, budget and control of expenditure for shared operational costs, but also coordination of budgeting and expenditure related to program implementation;
- Supervision, audits and controlling the implementation of corrective actions related to the DRC standards for operations. This includes supervision of all financial reporting and financial procedures for DRC and implementing partners, including the monthly schedule for financial reporting to the Regional Office, donor reporting and audits, cash flow and liquidity management, legal framework and reporting relations to national authorities;
- Direct supervision and management of staff in the relevant areas of responsibility;
- Ensure that payments and actions are in accordance with the legislation as well as donor and Head Quarter requirements;
- Monitor the maintenance of a centralized HR filing system
- Ensure that all HR staff files are complete (Code of Conduct, Contract updated, ToR updated etc.);
- Organize on an annual basis the appraisal system;
- Ensure that DRC follows the governmental/legal framework in all matters regarding HR & Administration;
- Update and share general financial and administrative procedures, relevant policy issues etc.
- Management of field logistics systems, including but not limited to, office set-up, fleet management, warehouse management, purchasing, stock control and management, transport, communications, customs and clearance, and other aspects of general logistics advice, including communication systems and equipment.
- Ensure that DRC’s minimum standards of logistics procedures and country policies are introduced and adhered to throughout the country operation, briefing and training all relevant staff as required
- Ensure controls, risk mitigation and compliance procedures are in place and that DRC’s anti-fraud and corruption policies are implemented and adhered to.
- Take a strategic approach to supply management utilizing sound practices to ensure accountable, timely, and cost effective delivery of appropriate supplies to the program
- Ensure that a centralized asset register is maintained; ensuring that all DRC program and operational assets are logged, issued with unique DRC asset numbers and ID cards, and are tracked.
- Ensure facilities and compound management across all sites; ensuring that adequate security measures, asset maintenance, communication, power and water supplies are carried out. Also ensure facilities and compounds condition are in line with health and safety standards of DRC.
- Monitor management of vehicle fleets; ensure appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles throughout the program, ensure servicing and maintenance schedules are adhered to and ensure accountability with particular reference to fuel consumption.
- Ensure international and national transportation of freight by land, sea and air is in line with program budgets and needs; ensuring the most cost effective and reliable means of transport is used for the timely delivery of supplies to projects
- Ensure increased focus on Human Resources Development, including capacity building of local staff and constant delegation of responsibilities;
- Training needs assessments as part of improving compliance with DRC standards.
- Ensure that timely and quality project Admin/Fin/Logistics reports are provided internally and externally on time according to donor requirements in coordination with SMT;
- Document support activities and developments and integrate lessons learned into programme development.
- A degree in management or business management;
- An experience of at least 3 years in the position of Operations Manager or Support Coordinator in an INGO and/or in a management/commercial/financial position in a private company, with knowledge of budget setting, financial follow-up etc.;
- Experience in supply chain management including procurement, transport and distribution, warehouse and stock management;
- Experience in vehicle and fleet management;
- Experience within insecure and volatile security locations;
- Working experience with some or all of EU, OFDA, ECHO, PAM and Danida guidelines;Experience of building and developing the capacity of staff through the use of training, performance management frameworks and development plans;
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills;
- Excellent IT skills;
- Commitment to and understanding of DRC’s aims, values and principles; and Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
- Experience in security management;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in French for external audiences (including governments and donors); English is desirable
- Work related experience from WA region is an advantage, especially in Niger.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Diffa (Niger)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-07-08