FINANCIAL CONTROLLER - HAITI
Job Title: Finance Controller
Start date: ASAP
Job Location: Port Au Prince, Haiti
Reporting To: Country Director
General Description of the Program: GOAL’s has been in Haiti since the devastating earthquake in January 2010 and has since then developed a programme portfolio targeting affected communities and supporting resilience building at household and community level. GOAL’s programmes have so far been in both the urban and rural contexts, in Port au Prince and Gressier, respectively. While continuing its support to the housing, water and sanitation needs of vulnerable families affected by the earthquake, GOAL is transitioning to a much longer-term programming approach linking relief and recovery to development through an integrated community-led development programme approach. GOAL Haiti currently employees 122 national staff and 11 expatriates.
General Description of the Role: The main purpose of this position is to oversee Finance and Compliance functions within GOAL Haiti. The role will have particular focus on Strategic Financial Management and Budgeting. A key part of the role is ensuring that the finance and donor compliance departments are functioning effectively and delivering results as planned and on time.
Management of Finance:
- Ad hoc preparation of budgets for proposals to be sent to donors, in accordance with donor guidelines and deadlines, in liaison with GOAL Dublin’s Operations Accountant.
- Preparation and finalisation of annual budget and rolling budgets, in collaboration with the senior management team and department heads, for submission to GOAL Dublin.
- Ensure all relevant staff have received up-to-date training on budget management and forecasting, and the Donor Status Report.
- Monitor and control current expenditure to ensure that it stays within available funding and agreed budgets. Highlight, as appropriate, under / over spends and agree actions required.
- Maintain and improve appropriate systems of internal control and make use of IT where possible to improve financial systems. Give adequate support and training to all staff, local and international, on controls and systems in place to mitigate current and potential risks (operational, logistical, financial and compliance related)
- Ensure timely submission of monthly reports to GOAL Dublin comprising the Sage data set, Donor Status Reports, supporting schedules and other reports as required.
- Ensure timely submission of donor reports, government reports and other reports to GOAL Dublin and/or the relevant authorities.
- Overall responsibility for management of cash flow.
- Maintain job descriptions for all Finance staff and carry out bi-annual staff appraisals. Ensure that the Finance team is adequately trained at all times.
- Ensure that adequate support is given to field finance and admin staff as well as budget holders. Regular trips to Gressier as necessary
Person Specifications (Requirements):
- Qualified accountant with prior overseas experience in a similar role.
- Working knowledge of reporting requirements for institutional donors, specifically EU/ECHO/OFDA-USAID
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills to plan projects, timetable agreed activities and oversee staff activities.
- Demonstrated management skills to deal with a large team and a myriad of tasks.
- Ability to work in French.
- Ability to accept the potential of insecurity and willingness to adhere to security guidelines.
- Outgoing personality with excellent communication and training skills.
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with an international country team.
- Previous experience of Sage a benefit
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, including familiarity with Microsoft Word and Access.
General terms and conditions
GOAL has Standards of Integrity and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Port-au-Prince
- Grade: Mid level
- Office Management, Administration and Finance
- Finance and Banking
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2016-07-31