Area Manager - Region Horn of Africa
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on Core Competence strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure that NRC´s programme in the Area develops in line with NRC’s mandate, policies and country specific strategies
- Ensure quality implementation of projects, and regular follow ups
- Ensure optimal use of financial resources
- Specific Tasks:
- Ensure that all NRC systems for programme administration and financial management are implemented and adhered to
- Ensure that systems for monitoring programme/project activities are developed and implemented
- Preparation and quality control of required reports
- Coordinating NRC programme activities with national authorities, United Nations agencies and other national and international agencies/organisations
- Ensure that the NRC programme in the area, contributes to NRC´s advocacy efforts, nationally, regionally and internationally
- Ensure that a Security Plan for the area is updated regularly
- Assist with any other duties assigned by the Country Director, as and when required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in Horn of Africa and especially Djibouti
- Knowledge of the local language (Arabic or Somali will be an added advantage)
- Administration / Organisation / Management
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimise results
- Duty station: Djibouti
- Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for NRC Djibouti.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Djibouti (Djibouti)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-07-05