Head of Support - Ethiopia
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The purpose of the Head of Support position is to ensure that all support functions are providing high quality and efficient support for programme implementation.
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Facilitate the support function`s strategic input to the development of the Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Provide input on operational support in proposal development, and to coordinate and align operational support with programme plans
- Responsible for ensuring quality support to project implementation.
- Facilitate the Master Support Budget, country level budgets and BPO development, including assess and monitor costs and resource allocation needs
- Responsible for the strategic development of country structures, technical systems, human resource capacity and allocation
- Responsible for development of new country specific technical SOPs, guidelines and tools
- Responsible for organisational learning related to programme support
- Responsible for technical capacity building of support staff
- Specific Tasks:
- The HOS will function as the Head of the internal Country Support Department which is responsible for systems and compliance quality and development, follow-up the implementation of NRC SOP’s, polices and regulations, as well as efficient and standardization of procedures and quantitate as well as qualitative assistance to all programme and field departments in the country.
- That the staff in the Support Department are managed and effectively utilized to ensure effective delivery of programs and commitments across the Ethiopia country as well as Djibouti.
- Line management of the Support Department team in Ethiopia
- Contribute actively in strategic and key operational matters in budget management, logistics, and Human resources
- Lead NRC internal policy and procedures development and reviews and contribute to strategic planning processes, including the development of efficient systems to achieve the set objectives in the country strategy
- Ensure quality implementation of country procurement plans as well as recruitment and staff care matters within specified time frames
- Cooperate with the HOP to ensure quality control of proposals, budgets and reports to donors and to local authorities
- Support the Country Director with operational and support elements that can enable effective implementation of projects in the country
- Ensuring quality monitoring and documentation of challenges and achievements related to the support function
- Preparation and quality control of required reports to the Country Director, Regional Programme Director, NRC HQ (incl. monthly, quarterly and annual programme reports).
- Developing and monitoring the annual calendar of deadlines for internal reporting from the support department across the country.
- Work closely with the emergency department on customs, and government procedures
- Assist the CD in VIP and big events management as well as resolving complicated issues including possibly legal matters.
- Coordinate security management issues with the SFP and the CD
- Minimum 4 years’ experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Allocation of resources and costs expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Administration / Organisation / Management
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Strategic thinking
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Duty station: Ethiopia
- Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for NRC Ethiopia.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected