Emergency Response Manager - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Middle East Regional Office was created in January 2014 as part of NRC’s reorganization process. We currently have more than 2,000 staff in the Middle East assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey,Jordan and Palestine, working in the shelter, education, food security, legal assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programs
NRC Iraq is now looking to recruit an experienced Emergency Response Manager based in Erbil – Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
The purpose of the Emergency Response Manager is to provide technical guidance to the different emergency response initiatives in the mission. The position includes technical development of the emergency response, strategic direction and qualityassurance and close coordination with the core competence specialists in their areas of expertise. The emergency response manager is responsible for ensuring capacity building of staff related to the emergency response.
It is a managerial position in the program unit leading the emergency response in the mission.
The ideal candidate is expected to do the following:
- Develop emergency response strategy for the country
- Responsible of the contingency planning
- Contribute to core competence strategies with emergency focus
- Develop Macro LFA and guidance for proposals
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within Emergency response, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learning is extracted from Emergency response implementation, and incorporate them in emergency response and staff development processes
- Ensure systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
· Ensure context and conflict analysis of thesituation in Iraq and monitor the country-wide situation,
· Liaise with relevant stakeholders to ensurethere is a constant information flow about potential new displacements.
· Ensure that the RRM response is activated whenrequired in coordination with the AMs and RRM units.
· Provide support with the setup of information management structures for data collection, reporting and M&E for RRM/cashprojects.
· Provide support with the development and implementation of market and vulnerability assessments.
· Contribute to any publications and lesson learnt papers at country level.
· Harmonize emergency response programming across all three area offices.
· Have a general oversight of country-wide program activities and emergency response program costs.
· Develop internal SOPs supporting the implementation of emergency response in coordination with finance, HR andlogistics.
· Provide support with country-wide contingency planning and prepositioning of supplies.
· Support the area offices with implementation capacity in emergency situations.
· Provide strategic and technical inputs intothe Cash Consortium, Cash Working Group, and RRM Consortium.
· Provide support with recruitment of qualified staff in areas of operations.
· Programme development: Core Competencies section (HO Oslo)
· Proposal development: Area Managers, Project Managers
· Quality control/ support: Area Managers, M&E unit
· Capacity development: Project staff, Area Managers
We are looking for a seasoned senior manager,with a previous experience of managing large teams and multi-disciplinary programmes in a complex environment, with a solid program development experience and at least 4 years of NGO experience in a humanitarian/ recovery and emergency context. We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels. A university graduate with good English skills and a knowledge of the Middle East Context and/or Iraq are essential.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Contract period: 18 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale
For further details, please see the Job Description below.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid
- Humanitarian Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-07-17