Post Doc in Potato Breeding
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 16-58 PDPB/IRS/Asia
Post Doc in Potato Breeding The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a highly motivated Potato Breeding Scientist with excellent practical, organizational and communication skills and a high level of commitment to conduct Potato Breeding and selection to develop improved potato varieties adapted to tropical environments for South East Asia and Pacific.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research, a network of 15 research centers mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
The position: This applied research position will be based in Hanoi, Vietnam and the scientist will be a member of CIP’s Genetics, Genomics and Crop Improvement discipline and it’s Agile Potato for Asia Program. The major objective of the project supporting the position is to select and develop improved potato varieties for fresh and processing use. The area of interest is South and Southeast Asia and occasional travel is required.
- PhD in Plant Breeding.
- At least 3 years’ experience in breeding potato (highly preferred) or other clonal crop.
- Strong knowledge of experimental design, genetics and statistics, GxE analysis for breeding and variety selection
- General and practical knowledge in plant health management, agronomy and accounts management
- Understanding and experience with molecular genetic characterization, principles and practices of marker-assisted selection
- Demonstrated collaboration skills; proactive in inter-institutional and collegial relationships.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills, taking consistent action and focused on meeting project time-lines.
- Knowledge of national agricultural research systems in Asia, Vietnam in particular.
- Experience working with private sector and end-users of breeding products desirable.
- Excellent spoken and written English. .
Duties and responsibilities:
- According to project plan, identify appropriate infrastructure and locations for potato breeding and selection in Vietnam.
- Manage potato progenies and carry out selection from true seed.
- Assess and maintain health and genetic identity of breeding materials.
- Develop and implement off -line and on-line breeding data management systems and expense accounts Determine breeding value and varietal attributes of advanced lines and new selections through phenotypic and genotypic assessment
- Contribute to assessment of varietal preferences and use as a part of interdisciplinary teams
- Write technical reports and communicate fluently with team members of CIP and partner organizations.
- Interact with and manage relationships with national and regional partners.
- Organize and facilitate national and regional workshops and knowledge sharing events.
- Represent CIP in relevant workshops, congress and meetings as required.
- Engage with policy makers, NGOs and National Programs and other actors as needed to support knowledge sharing and capacity building.
Conditions: The employment contract will be for two-year term with three months of probation period and renewal following satisfactory performance. Salary will be internationally competitive, commensurate with experience. Regional and international travel is required. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth. CIP seeks diversity and gender balance in its staff.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ ), including a cover letter summarizing their relevance to this position, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on July th
27 , 2016 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Hanoi
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Closing Date: 2016-08-17