LMS Project Development Specialist
New York City | Washington D.C
Background & Rationale
In February 2015, UNICEF launched a Learning Management System (LMS) to offer an easy, structured and centralized access to learning opportunities and to improve reporting and evaluation of learning activities. The platform, called Agora (https://agora.unicef.org ), is now used by over 25,000 learners (internal and external) and it includes over 1200 off-the-shelf courses and resources from specialized providers, custom UNICEF online courses, and face-to-face and blended programmes from both UNICEF and external providers. As of January 2016, Agora is management by the newly formed Learning and Knowledge Exchange (LKE) Unit in the Division of Data, Research and Policy (DRP). Through this organizational change, the organization aims at reinforcing and strategizing its programme learning offering and at better integrating formal learning (courses) with informal learning (peer-to-peer discussions / CoP).
Under the supervision of the Learning and Development Specialist, the LMS project development specialist will support the development of Agora (UNICEF’s LMS – https://agora.unicef.org ) by supporting the design and testing of new features developed by external providers, provide technical support to various users and stakeholders, systematise a decentralized access to quality learning and development reports and contribute to reporting and evaluation exercises for the Agora LMS initiatives.
Expected results: (measurable results)
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primary, shared, or contributory accountabilities for the following areas of duties and key end-results:
LMS development support
Contribute to the design of detailed specifications for the new features to be developed. Ensure the clear documentation of processes and detailed specifications of developments.
Test of new features and services being developed, and work with collaboration with the developers to ensure the timely delivery of quality products, within budget.
Support enhancements and improvements with the new development planning solution on Agora, integrated with the performance management platform (Achieve).
Support integration with the new Onboarding system, SharePoint dashboards and other UNICEF systems
Contribute to quality assurance and testing. Suggest improvements of the platform
LMS administration support
Support the effective rollout of the custom development planning solution of Agora, with end-users and managers, in collaboration with the Performance Management team in the Division of Human Resources.
Support with reporting (e.g. preparation of templates, expertise in creation of reports and automation of assignment of report when possible)
Support with management and assignment of roles.
Support with the creation and management of audiences.
General quality control, testing and troubleshooting. Management of technical assistance requests submitted through the Service Manager portal.
System sustainability and strategic development
Contribute to the Totara Community discussions and identify opportunities for contribution or collaboration.
Remain alert of Moodle/Totara developments, as well as wider technological advances (e.g. new integration standards or solutions).
Develop partnerships with other Totara users, in particular NGOS.
Find strategies and manage solutions to ensure the long-term sustainability of the project (e.g. consistency of content published, communication, maintenance of custom features, support of external users)
Open to home based with occasional travel to NYHQ.
Start date: 19 September 2016 (negotiable) End date: 1 September 2017 (11.5 months if different start date)
Deliverables, Duration(Estimated # of Days), Deadline
- Production of quarterly reports. Support with preparation of annual Agora report. 10 days 15 Oct. 2016/ 15 Jan. 2017 /15 April 2017
- Provision of technical support to Development plans improvements and/or integration with the new Onboarding system or other UNICEF systems and ensure smooth roll out of plans. 30 days 1 Sept. 2017
- Provide overall guidance and support to the new Programme creation enhancement: activities in activities 10 days 31 Dec. 2016
- Identify solutions for improved users’ integration processes and create documentation. 20 days 1 April 2017
- Support with temporary managers rights enhancements (a define feature development to be implemented in collaboration with external developers) 15 days 1 Feb. 2017
- Support Improvements to “Personal learning” solution (a define feature development to be implemented in collaboration with external developers) 10 days 1 February 2017
- Transfer records between user accounts 15 days 1 March 2017
- Coordinate Agora offline improvements 10 days 1 May 2017
- Coordinate portal administration features update and catalogue improvements. Improve reporting features. 20 days 1 June 2017
- Home page(s) redesign: improved usability and audience specific dashboards 10 days 1 July 2017
- Provide technical support to users and manage requests submitted through the Service Manager platform. 20 days 1 September 2017
- Assist with other aspects of the LMS administration and custom developments. 50 days 1 September 2017
Total 220 Days
Key competences, technical background, and experience required Deadline
1. Education: • Advanced university degree in instructional design, adult learning, or online and distance education highly desirable. Social science or management degree (human resources, business administration, international relations, psychology, etc.) possible if complemented with relevant on the job experience. Additional professional training an advantage.
2. Work Experience:
- At least 5 years’ experience in implementing and/or managing Moodle and/or Totara Learning Management Systems.
- Demonstrated experience leading the development of new features for Moodle/Totara platforms.
- Exposure to international professional contexts and/or multicultural environments.
- Proven ability to innovate and implement unique solutions to respond to specific learning requirements.
- Experience providing end-user support and technical assistance.
- Experience working with external developers / vendors, as we as a variety of project stakeholders.
3. Language Proficiency Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other UN languages a plus.
Competencies and skills:
- Strong project management skills (possibly including various concomitant projects).
- Strong analytical skills. System-minded, capable of identifying solutions or opportunities.
- Strong understanding of UX (User Experience) design principles.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, ability to work well with others.
- Ability to work with virtual teams (vendors, subject matter experts, testers, etc.)
- Strong networking skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to write project documentation, in particular specifications documents.
- Ability to search information and learn quickly, whether through the intranet, printed documentation, or with relevant experts. Researcher / explorer-minded profile.
- Advanced knowledge of Totara LMS or Moodle LMS environments. Ability to delivery training sessions and/or presentation to different audiences
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to send their submissions to http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=498186(23:55 EST)**, 11:55pm EST.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
- CV, and
A list of LMS implementations you have been involved in (including name of the company, the LMS platform used (e.g. Moodle, Totara or else), contact details / reference at the company, and a description of your role in the project).
Make sure to include your expected DAILY (not monthly) rates in your application, as well as 2-3 references and indication of projects you have worked on. We will NOT consider your application if this information is missing!
 P 11 form can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/Personal_History_P11.doc
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City | Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2016-08-12