Digital Communication Specialist, P-3, New York, #15509
New York City (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Digital Management Specialist, working with the Chief of Digital Strategy, is responsible for the timely development and production of digital communication assets across global social, web and multimedia channels. Primary focus will be on the management of cross cutting, section wide initiatives with broad reach across audiences, programmes and geographies. In addition, the Digital Management Specialist will support the Chief of Section with planning, coordination, monitoring and iterative optimization of the section's management systems. Emphasis will be on the coordination of project participants, from clients to DOC managers to element producers, identifying resources, cultivating professional relationships, and monitoring of UNICEF policies and programmes. This project management oversight will enable the smooth and effective functioning of the Digital Strategy Section within the Division of Communication.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Define and implement a program roadmap for digital communication initiatives at UNICEF. Liaise with DOC sections for project implementation: Media, Public Advocacy, Brand and Strategic Planning team. Provide high level oversight and management of priority, cross section digital campaigns and deliverables.
Scope and structure cross sectional digital initiatives, to include identification of human and financial resource needs, user requirements, timelines, deliverables and dependencies. Coordinate and assign the work of cross-functional project-based teams including consultants, developers, web producers, multimedia editors and social media staff, managing workload, organizational expectations, and product resources – including budgets.
Conceptualize, research and advise on the latest trends in new technology industry standards, best practices and benchmarks based on expertise and available business intelligence, including new emerging digital platforms, to maximize strategic digital engagement.
Initiate and develop relationships within UNICEF and with outside partners to produce digital products on priority themes and initiatives, including the contracting of vendors, producers or companies, as needed, and the preparation of appropriate formats and language versions as required.
Develop and maintain a roster of qualified consultants and vendors for product assignments, as needed. Prepare contracts related to the timely and cost-effective production of digital products, as needed.
Report on priority project progress and resource allocations across the section.
Work with the section chief and unit heads to develop, monitor and update the section's budgets and financial resources which enable the functioning of the external, digital communication infrastructure.
Reinforce budget discipline to ensure management team is spending and monitoring resources as planned.
Invoices: Manage workflows to ensure proper tracking of invoices and assignment of resources.
Vendor and Consultant Contract Management
Advise on optimal strategies and modalities to procure services and products as part of the digital communication infrastructure.
Guide managers through procurement and contracting processes needed for small- to large- scale, digital communication activities.
Work with counterparts in Director's Office, Supply Division, Legal, and/or ITSS to plan and ensure compliance and efficient workflows.
Oversee tracking system which records contractual information and is accessed by section managers for their planning and management purposes.
Office Oversight, Procedures and Management
Work with section chief to reinforce SOPs and systems for proper functioning of office including adherence to attendance and travel procedures.
Oversee the planning and management of office resources including office equipment (e.g. PCs, Macs, laptops, peripherals) and supplies.
Oversee the maintenance of floor plan, org chart and staffing lists.
Work with Head of Multimedia to develop, maintain and implement plans for ongoing maintenance and/or replacement of multimedia infrastructure.
During the on-boarding and exiting periods for personnel, oversee the process of assigning and removing them to/from email accounts, computers, workstations and other office systems.
As needed, manage other duties pertaining to digital operations for the section.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, management, project management, information technology, communication, journalism, public relations, or other related discipline or equivalent working experience in progressively responsible professional work in communication/information fields. A first level university degree (Bachelor's) in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Five years of relevant work experience in communication/information fields. Experience in technology and creation of websites; web-savvy is an absolute requirement. Prior project management experience working on website/software development projects, especially working on projects of similar scale, involving multiple users and groups. Experience working with various project management methodologies. Experience working with content management a plus.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
· Diversity and Inclusion
· Communication - Level II
· Working with People - Level II
· Drive for Results - Level II
· Analyzing - Level II
· Applying Technical Expertise - Level II
· Leading and Supervising - Level II
· Formulating Strategies and Concepts - Level II
· Planning and Organizing - Level III
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 27 Jul 2016 Eastern Standard Time
Closing Date 17 Aug 2016 Eastern Standard Time
To apply for this position, please click here
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2016-08-17