Consultancy: Photography Writer and Copy-editor, New York, USA
New York City (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
Rationale and context of the assignment:
The Digital Strategy Section (DSS) within the Division of Communication comprises Web, Social Media and Multimedia teams working together to create compelling public-facing content and to provide digital services within the organization. Through multiple platforms and in multiple languages, DSS draws attention to the many facets of UNICEF’s work, encouraging public support, participation and action, as well as ensuring greater transparency and accountability. Web stories, blog entries, photo essays, Facebook posts, Twitter campaigns, and videos for distribution via UNICEF.org, YouTube, news media and other outlets and platforms – all are a part of our digital storytelling. By measuring and testing our efforts, we also use data to inform content and engagement choices. DSS seeks to hire a Consultant photography writer and copy-editor.
For more information, click here.
· Write and copy-edit photo captions including concise descriptive and contextual background for photographs acquired into UNICEF's photography database according to established requirements.
· Write and copy-edit texts for photo-related traditional and digital applications including photography essays and photo features.
· Undertake research as needed to confirm information and accuracy of photo-related text content and background, including via UNICEF internal sources and with the photographer
· Implement consistent editorial standards (to UN-standard UK English style) and practices for photo-related texts as per a pre-defined caption and photo essay style.
· Provide support to the Senior Photography Editor on photo editing and associated tasks as required.
· Meet frequent tight deadlines.
· Flexibility to undertake weekend work, if needed.
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/ experience required:
· University degree equivalent to a Master's Degree or, as minimum, to a Bachelor's Degree;
· Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional work experience in editorial photography writing is required;
· Proven research and text editing skills is required;
· Experience in photography editing is required;
· Experience in international development communication an asset;
· Additional language is an asset;
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 August 2016. When sending to this mailbox, please ensure that the position you are applying for, '**Photography Writer and Copy-editor'**, is quoted on the subject line.
Applicants MUST submit their resume along with a typed, signed (and dated UNICEF P-11. Please send details of the daily fee/rate (in USD) you are willing to accept for the performance of this job. Please state whether negotiable or non-negotiable. To download P11:http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/Personal_History_P11.doc
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted. Non-U.S. citizens must be in possession of a G4 visa or become a US permanent resident/citizen before the contract begins.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Communication and Public Information
- Translations and Languages
- Closing Date: 2016-08-21