Site Operations Manger
The Danish Refugee Council is looking for a Site Operation Manager to support the Camp management operations in Central Greece.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has recently established a presence in Greece with the aim of delivering immediate assistance and protection-guided emergency response to refugees and migrants based on international humanitarian standards and in line with the Greek government strategy.
The closure of borders in early March 2016 triggered a build-up of refugee and migrant population on mainland Greece and currently the displaced population is accommodated in 34 emergency reception sites across the mainland.
About the Job
The Site Operation Manager provides guidance and Management to DRC staff for what concerns operations in two sites in Central Greece. Operations include shelter, WASH works as well as NFI distributions, care and maintenance of the existing infrastructures, and any other operation related activity as per camp management staff instructions.
The main responsibilities include:
- Provide operational support, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet program objectives related to works on sites
- Daily management and of the Shelter/WASH Team and of the Site Operations Team(s); including recruitment of team members and capacity building
- Organize and oversee general or targeted distributions as required, ensuring accountability and compliance with DRC standards
- Establish a system for the maintenance of camp sites handling issues such as garbage, water and electricity supply, pest control, shelter improvements, replacements etc.
- Take lead on implementation of communal infrastructure and shelter works, and participating in the design phase under the umbrella of a national Shelter Advisor
- Provide relevant inputs for programme planning
- Generally, oversee activity of contractors to ensure smooth, reliable and effective implementation of any construction or maintenance works undertaken by DRC on the sites
- Ensure compliance through timely and accurate provision of supporting documentation required by Finance and Procurement departments
- Support with drafting detailed SOPs regarding the most relevant operational procedures, including division of responsibilities between DRC units
- Work with all Site Operations field staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems
- Assist teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with the Logistics and Procurement Department
- Support, appraise and develop the capacity of Site Operations field teams
- Support in drafting of relevant technical reports and assessments for internal and external use
- Participate in assessments as required
- Support program standardization and sharing of experiences, lessons learned, and best practices across sites under DRC’s AoR
- If/as necessary, support in establishing and maintaining an efficient on-site warehousing system, compliant with DRC regulations, to ensure adequate storage, inventory and tracking of project materials
- Coordinate with the logistics department to ensure timely delivery of project materials on sites
- Support the camp management staff in the day to day management as requested
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity
Additionally, you will provide
- Temporary operational support in another areas if the country where DRC is active in case of emergency situations as defined by DRC management.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- University degree in logistics, engineering, social science or more than 5 years of relevant international field experience;
- 2 to 5 years’ field experience in similar position in refugee settlements;
- Ideally field experience in planning and monitoring Shelter and WASH works;
- Experience with NFI distributions;
- Team Player;
- Relevant “on the job” capacity building experience for DRC site operations staff;
- Flexibility and capacity of adaptation to a changing working environment;
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Fluency in Greek and/or Arabic is an asset;
- Proven capacity of coordinating with other humanitarian agencies and local authorities
DRC will offer the successful applicant a challenging job in our interesting start-up programme in Central Greece based in larissa town. The contract is currently for 6 months, it will however be renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
The salary and conditions will be placed at A15 for expatriates in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. Greek nationals are encouraged to apply, in which case the we follow the DRC Greece salary scale and the final salary package will be based on experience and qualifications.
For more information please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 19th of August 2016
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Central Greece
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-08-19