Wheat Breeder – Bread Wheat Improvement
Mexico City | Mexico City
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Wheat Breeder to work within the Global Wheat Program as a member of the Bread Wheat Improvement team. This position has a critical role in enhancing the impact of CIMMYT’s work by developing improved wheat germplasm for enhanced grain yield potential, biotic and abiotic stress tolerance, nutritional and processing quality through conventional, molecular and genomic selection approaches, and global partnership.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s Headquarters in Texcoco, Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City. The job will involve extensive travel within Mexico at various research stations and some travel in collaborating countries.
- Contribute to the overall objectives of enhancing wheat yields, biotic and abiotic stress tolerance and end-use quality through various activities of global bread wheat improvement as a team member.
- Support phenotyping of various agronomic traits and biotic/abiotic resistance/tolerance.
- Contribute to wheat improvement training and interact with visitors.
- Perform database entry and analysis.
- Contribute to the development of project proposals and reporting.
- Publish relevant work in scientific and peer reviewed international journals.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A Ph.D. in cereals genetics or breeding with work experience in Wheat Breeding.
- Experience with field based plant breeding/research and aptitude for field-based research.
- Experience with molecular genetics.
- Knowledge of experimental designs, management of field trials, field breeding operations, and data analysis.
- Experience with statistical and biometrical packages to analyze data.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Interest in international agricultural research and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural setting.
- Oral and written proficiency in Spanish is desirable.
- Achievement Orientation
- Innovation and Creativity
- Multicultural Awareness and Sensitivity
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply here for 16834 Wheat Breeder- Bread Wheat Improvement. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Thursday, 1 September 2016. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.