Director Integrated Water & Land Management and Ecosystems
Integrated Water & Land Management and Ecosystems Program
International Recruited Staff
Reports to: Deputy Director General - Research
Location: Cairo, Egypt Closing date: 15 September 2016 or until a suitable candidate has been identified
Main purpose of the position
Reporting to the Deputy Director General - Research, the Director of the Integrated Water & Land Management and Ecosystems Program (IWLMP) will develop and implement the Program’s research agenda, ensuring that its outputs and impact are relevant and fully aligned with the CGIAR Strategy and Results Framework (SRF) and ICARDA’s research-for-development goals to enhancing food security, support inclusive growth, and ensure sustainable management of natural resources within the context of changing global and regional drivers (i.e. climate change).
ICARDA is an international, autonomous, non-profit research organization currently based in Beirut, Lebanon supported by the CGIAR. We are committed to improve the livelihoods of the resource-poor in dry areas by enhancing food security and alleviating poverty through agricultural research, and the equitable use of natural resources. For more details: www.icarda.org
- Develop the Program’s vision, strategy and action plans for conducting and implementing high quality research, ensuring timely delivery of quality research outputs through effective and efficient management of IWLMSP research staff and resources and in accordance with ICARDA’s overall Strategic Plan and its global and regional mandates;
- Oversee the design of demand-driven impact pathways for the program’s research outputs in partnership with NARS and other stakeholders;
- Take the lead on developing innovative research initiatives and guide research project development to address major challenges in integrated water, land and ecosystems management at national, regional and international level;
- Contribute to ICARDA’s fundraising efforts by seeking out new funding and partnership opportunities, meeting and liaising with prospective donors, as well as develop and write winning proposals to ensure sustainable and long-term growth of the program;
- Work closely with the Deputy Director General (Research), other Program Leaders and Resource Mobilization Team to ensure the development and maintenance of a strong project/program pipeline;
- Act as ICARDA’s Focal Point in supporting the implementation of the CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land & Ecosystems (WLE); integrate inputs and outputs between partners; and work with Theme and Project Leaders to ensure the participation of ICARDA in other CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) that complement WLE;
- Establish strong linkages, proactive collaboration and partnerships with relevant advanced and national research institutions (NARS) in developing and developed countries;
- Coordinate capacity building activities to benefit NARS partners in developing countries, in collaboration with the wider research community;
- Ensure effective implementation of all program research activities by effectively managing resources, leading and motivating a team of scientists and other staff in the Program, ensuring effective monitoring and evaluation, data collection and timely reporting;
- Ensure that research results are published internationally, in ISI peer reviewed journals;
- Maintain close collaboration with other ICARDA’s Research Programs and Outreach Offices to achieve wide scalability of research program outputs and sustainable impact;
- Liaise, as appropriate, with headquarters corporate services, eg: Finance, Human Resources, and CODIS, etc.
- Represent ICARDA at regional fora, meetings and conferences.
Desired education, qualifications and experience
- A PhD in one or more areas relevant to the work of the program i.e., water and/or land management, natural resource management, irrigation, land degradation, ecosystems services or equivalents.
- At least five years of international experience in a science leadership position, with a strong multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team leadership and management record.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in agricultural research-for-development, preferably in the developing world.
- Extensive knowledge of water and land management issues in dry areas and a proven record in enabling the adoption of research outputs by farmers and/or (agro-) pastoralists.
- Individual recognition at international level for significant contribution to an area of research or development implementation as evidenced by a strong publications record, including in ISI peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong strategic planning skills, and the ability to develop and deliver strategic initiatives to advance the program and raise ICARDA’s profile and visibility;
- Strong verbal communication skills, such that international water and land management challenges can be explained to a range of players alongside the ability to explain complex, interdisciplinary water issues;
- Demonstrated ability to manage finances of a large regional/global program, and to plan work from both scientific and financial/human resources perspectives;
- Experience of managing teams of people that have delivered high quality outputs on time and within budgets;
- Excellent track record in liaising with donors, fundraising, quality program development and team management.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French would be an advantage.
Terms of appointment
The initial contract will be for 3 years, of which the first year will be probationary period. Subsequent employment is determined based on the performance and productivity of the staff member, and continued need for the position.
How to apply
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by 15 September 2016
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Organization: ICARDA - The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
- Location: Cairo
- Grade: Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-09-15