Director, Monitoring and Evaluation, HIV/AIDS Nigeria
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning for a potential 5-year USAID-funded contract designed to build local capacity for the delivery of sustainable, high-quality, and comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment, care, and support services. Using a data-driven approach, this project will impact Nigeria’s capacity to effectively control, treat and prevent HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis co-infections in the general and key populations across all regions of Nigeria.
MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 40 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia, and Medford, Massachusetts, US headquarters, our staff from more than 70 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
The Director for Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will oversee the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system for reporting progress, and maintain reporting procedures and guidelines in compliance with USAID systems. The Director of M&EL will be expected to develop a strong monitoring and evaluation plan consistent with USAID and PEPFAR results frameworks, coordinate the collection of data including conducting field visits for data validation, monitor the quality and completeness of data sets, contribute to the development of the program and document project performance against established outputs and indicators. S/he will also be responsible for building the capacity of the local, state, and federal Government of Nigeria, Ministry of Health (MOH), and other stakeholders in the collection, utilization, and dissemination of data as well as ensuring that all monitoring and data collection activities are harmonized and information is shared. S/he will also assist the MOH to monitor programs and assess the robustness of implementing organizations’ data collection and M&E mechanisms. The Director will also oversee junior M&E staff and will work with partners to implement the project’s implementation research agenda.
- Design and implement the Project’s M&E system in close coordination with the technical team, including the development of performance indicators, setting annual targets, monitoring project progress against annual targets, ensuring timely data collection, writing quarterly and annual reports, and liaising with the project financial team to track the budget in relation to all project results and outcomes.
- Provide technical inputs to the technical team in order to assist in developing program goals and objectives as well as M&E tools and strategies and provide monitoring data to strategically inform the decisions on project performance and future direction to the project.
- Lead the conduction of a baseline study for all performance indicators that require a baseline value.
- Develop and implement a quality improvement system for the project focusing on the systematic strengthening of data quality for all program data.
- Support the MOH to enhance a health sector M&E framework and monitor health system strengthening interventions.
- Provide regularly updated reports on the status of implementation, according to project goals, objectives and indicators, to the Chief of Party, USAID, PEPFAR and other program managers as required.
- Collaborate with the project technical team in identifying project activities, processes and/or outcomes that are worthy of documentation, and design a system for capturing lessons learned and best practices.
- Support the production of technical briefs and other technical documents on the project accomplishments.
- Support preparations for external and internal assessments, reviews, and/or evaluations commissioned by the donor agency and MSH throughout the implementation of the project.
- Work with consultants and partners to implement the project’s implementation research agenda.
- Adhere to MSH procurement integrity and institutional standards and procedures in all project management responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience **
- A master’s degree in epidemiology, biostatistics, public health or a related discipline.
- At least 7 years of demonstrated experience designing, and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities for complex public health programs in developing countries.
- Experience in designing and implementing special studies in developing countries.
- Excellent command of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Knowledge of M&E issues related to improvements in quality integrated health services and support programs, particularly programs focusing on HIV and TB..
- Previous experience implementing and managing a rigorous M&E system including developing and monitoring performance monitoring plans that track performance as sub-results/results and by funding stream.
- Knowledge of data collection protocols to ensure accurate data collection and verification is essential, as well as an ability to identify data trends and communicate this information to allow for changes in program implementation.
- M&E experience in the health sector desired, particularly in health systems strengthening.
- Ability to write quality reports for donors.
- Knowledge of and experience in operational and/or implementation research experience highly desired.
- Past experience leading and building the capacity of M&E officers, including remote, field-based staff, to meet program needs and deliverables is desired.
- Extraordinary organizational, verbal and written communication skills to manage project communications and disseminate project information.
- Excellent skills in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and DHIS2. Experience working with a statistical analysis software (STATA, SPSS or alike) highly desired.
- Experience with USG/USAID/PEPFAR programs/projects and reporting requirements required.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills and professional proficiency in English required.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus and navigate complex political contexts. Ability to develop effective working relationships with USAID, state and local governments and other program partners and counterparts.
- Previous supervisory experience highly desired
- Willingness to travel frequently within Nigeria.-
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Abuja (Nigeria)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- HIV and AIDS
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-09-09
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position