Technical Advisor, Literacy and Learning
Washington DC | Washington D.C.
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Advisor, Literacy and Learning
The Global Learning Group comprises two major operational areas, Global Education and Global Connections, with combined annual revenue of $75 million and approximately 80 staff members in Washington, DC, and some 400 on projects in other countries. Global education brings together expertise in teaching and learning, education systems, policy, information and management, and research and evaluation to assist governments and communities to improve education outcomes, efficiency, and the effectiveness of the teaching-learning process. Global Connections promotes professional development for emerging leaders from around the world, representing a diversity of sectors.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
As part of the Literacy and Learning Team, the Technical Advisor II supports the Global Education technical approach to improving literacy and learning outcomes among children in developing countries, with a dedicated focus on Haiti and other French-speaking countries as time permits.
- Assists in development and implementation of best practices in field projects and helps design literacy components of proposed projects.
- Provides technical advice and direct support to programs based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence-based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design.
- Contributes to strengthening technical capacity in the wide range of aspects related to language and literacy learning – instruction, materials development, assessment, etc. – at the country-level, regionally and with global program staff.
- Responsible for sharing best practices in literacy and learning and contributes to the knowledge base through participation in professional forums and technical networks.
- Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent - Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- 12+ Years of experience in education, health, behavioral, or social sciences or related field.
- Knowledge and experience in specific technical area.
- Informed of current program developments in division/unit/technical area.
- Years of work experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of technical issues.
- Ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English and French.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360 - Family Health International
- Location: Washington DC | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Education, Learning and Training
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-09-30