Gender Base Violence Legal Expert
The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long term focus on capacity building. DRC works with beneficiary communities and individuals to prevent and reduce protection threats, and build resilience.
DRC is currently delivering a GBV project in south-eastern Turkey. This position is required to support and strengthen DRC’s project and improve psychological responses.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Turkey since early 2013, working with by and large with non-camp Syrian refugees and affected host communities. DRC is committed to basic humanitarian principles; including impartiality and neutrality, and offers the highest standards of accountability to the people it serves. The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long term focus on capacity building. In Turkey, DRC works partially through partners, also providing intensive capacity building support, while also conducting direct implementation.
About the job:
DRC is looking for a Gender Base Violence Legal Expert for its program in Turkey. In close cooperation with the GBV Manager and GBV Officer. Gender Base Violence Assistant is responsible for;
Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out direct one-to-one legal counselling with survivors of Sexual / Gender Based Violence.
- Provide guidance and legal technical support/facilitate trainings concerning GBV and legal responses to S/GBV, to DRC field staff.
- Prepare effective training materials, and deliver effective legal awareness trainings to DRC staff, partners, and beneficiaries/
- Design and coordinate legal programs to address the specific needs of persons at risk of, or survivors of GBV.
- Provide education on harm associated with GBV, and prevention and response mechanisms.
- Ensure DRC GBV activities follow international best practice standards.
- Receive referred cases by other agencies and departments from DRC.
- Provide periodic reports.
- Have responsibility for client confidentiality and privacy of beneficiary case files.
- Carryout capacity building of staff on psychological, GBV and PSS topics.
- Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree, Law degree; ability to practice law in Turkey
- 5+ years relevant legal experience, focusing on women’s welfare, GBV, domestic law, refugee law, etc.
- Experience preparing training materials and conducting trainings.
- Experience of work (in paid or voluntary capacity) in NGO or voluntary sector
- Experience working within a team.
- Fluent English and Arabic.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation, with a commitment to teamwork;
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willingness to learn from others;
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
- Excellent analytical, organizational and facilitation skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic;
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Flexible and responsive thinker
- Commitment to the values, vision and mission of DRC
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Well-developed organizational skills
- Experience with case management protocols desirable
- An understanding of humanitarian/civil society issues in Turkey and the region
** Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position**
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 4 month contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 19.09.2016 and be willing and able to work in Urfa.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences as well as additional allowances such as relocation allowance and living allowances, if applicable. DRC Turkey is income tax exempted.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or Apply HERE.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 28.08.2016. The interviews are expected to take place within 1 week after the application closing.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact HR team at email@example.com
Please note that applications sent directly to HR team will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo