Consultancy for the Final Evaluation of the Project "DCA Landmines and UXO Clearance Operations in Central Lebanon"
• BACKGROUND INFORMATION
DCA has been implementing a three-year project in Lebanon entitled “DanChurchAid (DCA) Landmines and Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) Clearance Operations in Central Lebanon – Lot 2”. This programme has included mine action and capacity building of national actors. This ToR is in reference to the external evaluation of the programme. The external evaluation will be conducted in September/October 2016. The three-year programme (1 July 2013 to 30 June 2016) received approval from the European Union in April 2013 and started operations from July 2013.
• OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
The overall purpose of the evaluation is to measure the achievements of the project outcome where stated in the project proposal and Logframe, and give recommendations for future project development and improvement in mine action and local capacity development. In addition, the evaluation should confirm adherence to the objectives outlined in the Call for Proposals published on 28 September 2012.
In addition, the external evaluation will document lessons learned, challenges and good practices of project implementation. Specifically, the external evaluation aims to:
- Assess the Relevance of the programme outcomes for the beneficiaries and stakeholders,
- Assess the relevance of the outputs for achieving the outcomes
- Assess the effectiveness in converting inputs to outputs
- Evaluate the sustainability of the different outputs in accordance with the outcomes.
- Make a record of lesson learned, challenges, successes, positive and negative experiences etc.
• SCOPE OF THE SERVICES
The external evaluation shall comprise but not necessarily be limited to the following:
- Assess the effectiveness of the project in reaching the stated outcomes and outputs, including an analysis of possible constraints.
- Assess the relevance and appropriateness of the different strategies, with a view to assessing whether the interventions met the needs of the intended beneficiaries in the area of operation. Analysis should consider gender and the differential impacts on women and men.
- Assess the technical quality of the project activities and the effectiveness and appropriateness of methodologies and approaches applied.
- Assess the synergy/cooperation achieved at different levels between the different project areas.
- Review the quality and appropriateness of the monitoring and reporting system.
- Assess the degree to which financial resources (funds, expertise, time etc.) have been converted into outputs.
- Review the degree of cooperation and collaboration with organizations and government agencies / offices, including collaboration and networking mechanisms in the implementation of the program.
- Review the degree of beneficiary participation in programme design and implementation and the programme's overall accountability.
- Recommend strategies, modifications and improvements for future projects pursuing similar goals.
- Identify major concerns related to the sustainability of the project.
- Identify good practices within the project.
• TIMING, LOGISTICS AND FACILITIES The Contract duration will be 30 days between September/October 2016 (exact dates to be confirmed). The field visit is expected to take place during the second half of September 2016. During the field visit elements of the contract, the contractor will be based in Beirut with significant travel to project implementation sites in Lebanon. The Contracting Authority will provide office accommodation (desk and internet).
The consultants should expect to visit all the project locations and plan for at least one week of time in Lebanon.
• QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
For the comparison and evaluation of the technical proposals, the Contracting Authority shall take the following criteria into consideration, with the indicated weights:
Criteria Percentage Principal area of specialisation: Mine Clearance (BAC, EOD, Manual demining) 35/100 Additional area(s) of specialisation: Training and Capacity Building of national stakeholders 25/100 Demonstrable ability to address the Terms of Reference and present an acceptable methodology including sufficient man power and time spent in the three countries to complete the evaluation 20/100 Experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MLE) of programmes and/or regional projects in the Middle East: 5 to 10 years 5/100 Demonstrated report writing skills (reference to and examples of three completed evaluation reports 5/10 Working knowledge of Arabic 10/100
- Organization: DCA - DanChurchAid
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Mine Action
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2016-09-10