Chief of Party
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID-funded project. The purpose of the program is to improve the health status of the Haitian population, and would support the direct delivery of clinical and community-based services for people living in geographic areas currently supported by USAID. Emphasis will be placed on site-level governance and accountability through structured mentorship and targeted assistance to build the capacity of facility managers (public and private) to address gaps and deficiencies identified within routinized data analysis and site assessments.
The Chief of Party leads and manages the project and is accountable for project deliverables and results, with full accountability and authority for the development, execution, and monitoring of the project, including vision and technical strategy; project management; documentation and communication; client(s) stakeholder(s) relationships; and coordination and synergy with other MSH projects and collaboration with MSH Country Representative and the Country Operations Management Unit (COMU) where applicable. This accountability includes effective contribution to business and resource development activities - including positioning, intelligence gathering, and proposal development - that contribute to fueling MSH’s mission.
Oversees implementation of program activities and provides high quality technical and strategic leadership, managerial oversight, and administration of the project.
Serves as the primary project liaison from MSH to the donor and is accountable for the achievement of results, ensuring quality of services is maintained at the highest standard, and that all project objectives and deliverables are met.
Safeguard MSH’s reputation by ensuring that financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity is maintained and strengthened.
Technical Strategy and Vision:
- Develop (update and adapt as needed) and execute project results framework, performance monitoring plan, technical strategy, M&E plan and annual work plans as per contract/agreement requirements, MSH technical frameworks and standards, and RMS guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum project impact and business development using a variety of communication strategies and media.
Project and People Management:
- Ensure effective contract/agreement implementation in strict compliance with contract/agreement clauses, MSH and donor policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure project staffing, structure and reporting relationships are aligned with project needs, local context and available resources.
- Manage and mentor the project team as per MSH policies and guidelines and implement an effective performance-management program including regular check-ins, annual appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support.
Client and other Stakeholder Relationships:
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Identify and keep track of new business opportunities, communicating them to the relevant internal MSH stakeholders.
Coordination and Synergy:
- Collaborate with the MSH Country Representative and participate as required in activities organized in the context of MSH Representation in country.
- Ensure harmonious collaboration with and cost-effective use of the Country Operations Management Unit.
Qualifications and Experience
- MPH, MBA or master's level degree in related field.
- 15 years of progressively responsible, related experience working in public health is required.
- 5 years’ experience managing donor-funded projects from design to implementation to completion in developing countries, preferably with some of the experience in Haiti.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the management of a results-based financing program in public health
- Demonstrated subject-matter expertise in technical content relevant to the project.
- Demonstrated leadership and management abilities.
- Prior experience and success directing similar or larger international donor-funded projects.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills.
- Familiarity with USAID regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects.
- Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams with project mission and vision. Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably with government agencies, NGOs, private sector groups, USAID, CAs, and donor organizations.
- Required to have strong interpersonal, oral and written communication, and presentations skills in French (tested FSI R4/S4) and English; working knowledge of Creole is highly desired.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Visit the MSH website to apply!
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Port-au-Prince (Haiti)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-10-01