Project Development and Support Specialist
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Being operational in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in South Central. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH and Shelter.
The Iraq programme presently employs about 450 national staff and 40 international staff, and is expanding in responds to the current Mosul emergency through funding from various donors. DRC’s office in Zummar is a strategic base for the implementation of a large early recovery programme with a significant cash and livelihoods component, as well as being central to DRC’s response plan for the Mosul emergency, in which cash assistance will play an important part in the future.
About the job
The Project Development & Support Specialist is ultimately responsible for ensuring ‘quality’ throughout the project cycle; from the initial development and proposal design through to continuously enhancing the quality of project implementation and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as the lead writer/coordinator/editor for concept notes and proposals, as needed.
- Ensure communication between all departments (finance, program, and operations) in drafting of budgets.
- Contribute to the development of strong data collection and monitoring & evaluation plans within each proposal, including well-designed log-frames and indicators.
- Maintain up-to-date information on donor priorities and funding opportunities.
Research, Analysis and Capacity Building
- Assist in conducting needs assessments and background research to guide DRC programming.
- Map donors and projects in Iraq relevant to DRC’s focus sectors.
- Conduct visits to field locations as possible/needed.
- Undertake training for programme and operation staff on grants management.
- Facilitate new-grant start-up and quarterly review meetings to ensure donor compliance, operation/program integration, logistics support, etc.
- Manage internal and external reporting, ensuring high-quality, well-written and timely reports.
- Consolidate monthly internal programme progress reports based on input from programme managers.
- Maintain grant files, including regular updating within DRC’s Grants Monitoring System (GMS).
- Write and edit communication pieces, press releases and success stories and follow up with media for coordination of communication pieces.
- Provide support to project specialists to produce outreach material for publication
- Supporting communication between HQ, Regional and Country Team offices
To be successful in this role you must have:
Essential qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, with master’s degree strongly preferred.
- At least two years of INGO field experience in a similar position that includes proposal development, reporting and grants management.
- Knowledge of key donor (UN, EC, USG, etc.) regulations, procedures and requirements.
- Proven ability to develop winning proposals for public and private-sector donors.
- Strong networking, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to determine priorities and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Ability/willingness to work with extremely tight deadlines and multiple tasks.
- Excellent written and spoken English required / Arabic or Kurdish preferred.
- Willingness to follow security policies and procedures
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 12 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. Candidates must be willing and able to live and work in Erbil, Iraq.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at A15. R&R cycle is every 12 weeks.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 30th August 2016.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2016-08-30